Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Another Cruise Control Thread

37K views 100 replies 23 participants last post by  dd.davedyson 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

i could use a helpful hand with my "problem".

As the title suggests i'd like to retrofit a Cruise Control to my car.
The Alfa 156 is a 2003 (PRE-Facelift) 1.9 JTD.
So it has NO CRUISE cable fittet.
However - checking the ECU with FES it reads various CRUISE settings (Set Speed, CRUISE on / OFF etc...) which makes me think the ECU could handle the CRUISE Stalk.

now neede for installing is the Stalk (relatively easy to come by).
AND the Wiring / Cable from the ECU to the STALK > which is verry hard (not to say impossible??) to get.

Now i tried to find it in eper - but somehow i can't find anything related to the CC system?!!
So could any of you please take a look an may name me the part number of that cable? (got Left Hand Drive) Or maybe someone which is selling one / can obtain one?

thank's in advance
BS

See less See more
#39 ·
The lights not necessary for the function of the cruise control.

It just lets you know you have selected the switch to on position and the control is active.

I have made a loom for the ECU and will test it tomorrow.

Need a Cruise Stalk now {x 2} as I will fit the other 156 2.4 I'm restoring with cruise also.

Any one know the part number for the stalk ?

#40 ·
The light may not be necessary for the function of cruise control, but that is the only thing missing on mine and as far as I'm aware, I'm the first to try this on the ME3.1, so it may well be a requirement for activation on that ECU - we don't know!

Anyway, part number for the stalk is 156047955

#100 ·
I've put a picture on page one of how I have wired into the 2.5 V6s ECU. Presuming yours is a CF3 (ECU will be on the air intake plenum if it is).

Here is the pinout for the ME3.1 ECU.
Hello dear friend. I read your posts on cruise control. I have the same problem. With the 1.8 T.S engine, it worked fine, but after changing to the 2.5 V6 24V CF3 engine, the cruise control does not work. The cruise control options in the Fiat Ecu Scan program work fine, but I cannot turn on the cruise control. The cruise control light does not come on. In the ECU I switched from pin 18 to pin 1 according to the scheme.

Have you solved this problem?

#46 ·
I don't have Elearn in this pc so I can't see which one is A plug.
If those two connectors in the images are the two existing ones in the ECU it's easy to know which one is A.

In elearn you go to description - engine - diesel injection system (not sure on this one) and it will show you all the inputs for your ECU.

In the images one of the connectors has 62 pin and the other has 94.
See which one is A.

The pin layout is easy to understand.
For example:

In the last picture it's easy to see what pin are from 1 to 6. They are marked with a line.
Then you see on the top right the pin number 2 and at its left pin no 7.
You must now start counting to the left of pin7. So the pin next to 7 (on its left) is pin 8 and so on.
The final pin on that row is pin no 28 (first from the right).
Pin 29 is the first one on the right of the row bellow the first one. Pin 30 is the one at the left of pin 29.
And so on.

For example, imagine that this connector is connector A, the lamp pin is no 23.
On the connector pin 23 is the 6th one on top row counting from left to right (remember the first pin on the left is pin no 28).

Hope you can understant this.
You just have to count them.

Cheers!

#49 · (Edited)
@filipharvey

I just noticed in your FES there's no Cruise control ON in the parameters list pin 53 should have a 12v signal to it.

I'm having problems also at the moment, they only thing I have not done is put the pin 21 to cruise indicator bulb, I'm not getting any luck from the cruise control,
although the ECU recognizes the input signals calling cruise on, the speed settings +/- and resume, its not working when driving though, will check the clutch pedal switch later.

I found a 147 ECU loom and used the connectors from that to pinout the ECU plug, it was the only way to get a proper connection to the ECU pins.

Attachments

#50 ·
It has got the cruise control on 12v signal. As I've said before in this thread, if I remove that signal, the buttons still work, but I get an error stored in the ECU about an invalid signal from the stalk.
However, as with you, all that I have omitted from the installation is the light.
I haven't got round to trying that yet, but it could well be the key.

#52 ·
Sorry, my laptop died this weekend.
I've been replying through my work computer.

I haven't made the light connection yet.
Will probably do it tomorrow.

If in FES it says cruise on and all signals work it should work.

Mine didn't work the first time.
Then I switched it on and you have to press speed + in order for the cruise to start working or else it doesn't do nothing.

I let it stay with speed plus a bit until the car start pulling on its own.

Have you tried that?

#53 ·
Forgot to post about pin numbers.

If you trace the bulb with a multimeter it will give you other connections as it is linked with other bulbs.
In Elearn diagrams it says the trailer indicator light is pin 2 +ve, and its ground is common to all other lamps on pin 14 of the other connector.

Elearn diagrams have never let me down :)

Cheers!

#55 ·
No, pin 14 of connector A is common to all lamps, so it's always connected to GND.
If you put +ve on pin 2 of connector B the trailer indictor light should be constantly on.

You have to find a way to invert the -ve signal that comes from the engine ecu.
It should be possible to do so with a relay.

#62 ·
Just saw the picture.

You have more things related to cruise control than me.

Mine doesn't show the one about the light, the learn, the 2nd brake, or off.

I believe you should have a learn feature somewhere in FES.

About the 2nd brake switch, I'll try and see in the diagrams what pin is it so you can shunt it with the switch you already have.

Have you tried pin 2 connector B +ve and pin 14 connector A -ve?

#63 ·
Just saw the picture.

You have more things related to cruise control than me.

Mine doesn't show the one about the light, the learn, the 2nd brake, or off.

I believe you should have a learn feature somewhere in FES.

About the 2nd brake switch, I'll try and see in the diagrams what pin is it so you can shunt it with the switch you already have.

Have you tried pin 2 connector B +ve and pin 14 connector A -ve?
Yes this works.

But not much use if the rest of its dysfunctional :(

#65 · (Edited)
No

Its in Binji's post on the first page of this thread DOH !!!!

Its pin 54 on the ECU needs the brake switch connected to it, will be doing it tomorrow.

From E Learn

Functional description

The switch H7 is supplied when the ignition is switched on (INT) - pin 3 - from the line protected by the fuse F1 for the junction unit B1.

Control H7 is connected to management unit M10:

to pin 53 of connector A, with the ON/OFF signal
to pin 55 of connector A, with RES signal
to pin 57 of connector A, with the SET + signal
to pin 56 of connector A, with the SET - signal
The 'pedal released' signal for double switch I30, on the other hand, is sent to the engine management control unit M10 - pin 54 of connector A.

For the management of the Cruise Control function the control unit also uses the signal at pin 61 of connector A of M10 coming from the clutch pedal switch I31 and the accelerator pedal potentiometer K55 See E5050 DIESEL ENGINES ELECTRONIC MANAGEMENT signals.

To turn on the Cruise Control warning light, engine management unit M10 sends a signal - pin 1 of connector A - to check module E30 which is supplied by a line protected by fuse F4 of the additional fuse box B98B.