Alfa Romeo Forum banner

i have decided on buying a 156....

1K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  michaeld 
#1 ·
i have decided on buying a 156....i am going to look at 2 on saturday.

as it is my first alfa, could anyone give any help as what to look for apart from usual stuff like service history and funny noises that dont sound right, etc, etc.

thanks in advance

#4 ·
Way to go, Mr. Orange. :cool:
Btw welcome to Alfaowner. :)

#8 ·
What year are you looking at? ie its a year or so old, and theirs some warrantee remaining - so less to worry about. If not also give the engine type and model, then perhaps peops can compare theirs (relative to the years you are interested) and so can post, rather the silly billys at the top of this thread that were trying scare you away :mad: Behave yourself chaps ;) :D

#9 ·
I recently brought a three year old 156 and looked at plenty of crap before finding a decent one (I hope....).

Be aware of the issues mentioned above but most of all don't buy the first one you see and be prepared to wait to find a decent one.

Happy hunting :D

#10 ·
kurzon said:
What year are you looking at? ie its a year or so old, and theirs some warrantee remaining - so less to worry about. If not also give the engine type and model, then perhaps peops can compare theirs (relative to the years you are interested) and so can post, rather the silly billys at the top of this thread that were trying scare you away :mad: Behave yourself chaps ;) :D
i am looking at a 156 1.8 ts veloce....x reg with 40k.....full alfa service history.....

i am going to look at it on saturday..

it aint the first 1 i have looked at and it probably wont be the last but if it looks ok and everyting is ok about it, i may purchase it...

#11 · (Edited)
Good choice. A lot of people I've spoken with rate the 1.8 over the 2.0

Make sure the cambelt, tensioners, pulleys and variator were done at 36,000 or will be done as part of the deal. Check the condition of the water pump too. If there is any white/blue residue anywhere on the pump it needs changing. Even if the belt was done recently, if the pump is worn you can still throw the belt and say ta-ta to 8 spark plugs, 16 valves and a whole load of oil as your car grinds to a spectacularly noisy halt. Many is the car owner (this is NOT an Alfa problem, it's a timing belt problem) who has had a belt changed only to have a tensioner or water pump fail.

Check for knocking from the suspension (a couple of speed ramps or just bumpy roads at low speed will let you know on this one). If the knocking is at the rear it will the trailing arm bushes. £3.00 each, but about 45-60 minutes labour each side as you really need to get the rear discs off to work on them. If it's the front it will most likely be the wishbones. Bit more work involved there.

Final point is oil. These engines can go through a litre in as little as 1,000 miles. If there is any sign of oil starvation (dipstick, noisy valve gear, rumble from big-end) walk away. As soon as you are out of sight break in to a run and keep going. Change your identity and move to another town if you have to, but don't buy the car!

Remember that many people sell their cars shortly after paying out a small fortune on repairs. There's a good chance that the above have already been dealt with, leaving the previous owner with a large bill and a nasty taste. You get to reap the rewards. :)

Just watch for the main points above and make sure you get a reasonable warranty.

#12 ·
I was a 1.8 owner, choosing it from new over the 2.0 because primarily the cost diferential, and the 1.8 gave a lot better returns on economy for not a lot less performance. the pre emissions clamp down engine I felt were much better (144bhp versus 140) and having driven them back to back the difference was noticeable.

It also responded well to a visit to Autodelta for a remap/induction kit/exhaust plenty more performance with very little if any impact on running cost even after switching to Optimax.

I had an early X reg (mid september) and there was a shortage of cars around that time so it should be one of the post SportPack variants i.e. lusso/veloce (leather/cloth)/tourismo. The veloce spec was very good - lowered suspension 16" teledial alloys, carbon fibre interior and recaro cloth or momo leather the engine being the only difference between it and the 2.0veloce (oh and the whaletail was optional).

The thing to watch with the cars that age is that most of the things that wear are about due for some TLC as the guys say, so check for work on belts/bushes and then the wear level on the usual suspects (brakes/tyres) and use that as a further negotiating point.

Mine went to 3 years/50k without a hiccup (apart from the drivers airbag warning light coming on on occasion), and I enjoyed every minute - before trading her in for a GTA...

Simon.

#18 ·
bomberlow said:
Very nice motor, and the colour is different but a little expensive? :( Mine was an X reg, 1 owner and full main dealer service, quite high mileage at 71k on the clock, but i got it for £5,250.
Hmm, just seent the ad - I also think it is a bit overpriced.

Mine was also a metallic green 156, 2000 X-reg, but a 2.0 TS with only 13k miles on the clock, and I paid £7,490 back in May of this year.

Piccies:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=28156

#19 ·
Nice colour but too much money I think. Looking at the other cars they have in stock they all seem a bit pricey!! The upside is they should offer you a good p/ex deal if that's what you need.

I only bought mine 2 weeks ago, but I got a 156 S/W JTD Veloce 2001/Y for £4000. A few more miles but drives superb and a big saving over that one!!

#20 ·
Very Pricey,

My 48K X plate veloce (red not metallic) was put up for sale at a main
dealers for 7.5K and that was 13 months ago....

I suppose it all depends on your PX values and negotiating skills.

Simon.

#21 ·
cheers for all the help guys.... :D

cant wait till saturday now......i think my negotiating skills are ok and i will put most of the stuff i read on here into practice when i go to see the car.....

i just hope this car is the 1 i have been looking for all this time.

thanks....

#23 ·
mr.orange said:
i am looking at a 156 1.8 ts veloce....x reg with 40k.....full alfa service history.....

Have you considered buying from a fleet auction - most fleet cars are sold after 3 years and are regularly serviced. They may have higher mileage (20K or more a year) but they will have a good service history.

I just bought a 2L Lusso at an auction yesterday and I reckon I saved quite a lot of money.

I'll post the story elsewhere.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.