Alfa Romeo Forum banner

pinstripe?

Tags
pinstripe
3K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  Ian Lusso 
G
#1 ·
No or Yes?

3mm Red/White/Green pinstripe running along lower creaseline of a sliver GTV?

G
#8 ·
I suppose that if I was 100% convinced I just would have gone ahead and done it! The fact that I asked about it tells me I shouldn't.
Instead I'm going to replace the current plastic pininfarina side logos with Enamel badges- pininfarina on green/white/red backround. should look good on silver and not too much.

#18 ·
Very difficult to find. I put Red/Green/White Pinstripes on my Silver Alfetta GTV6 and they look good on this car, not quite so sure how they'd look on the 916 GTV I have. When putting them on I was quite prepared to remove them immediately if they didn't look right, fortunately they did.

I spent a lot of time trying to find them and eventually Rosso gtv found some for me in a long unused Bodyshop in Sunny Scunny.

#13 ·
Got you both :lol:

Thats my car and it looks ace :D as I said when I did that, its your car and if you like the idea then go for it. At the end of the day it will only be a small, subtle piece of sticky so if you dont like it, it comes off relatively easy. Its your car and if you want to do something to it then go for it, sod what everyone else thinks :thumbs:

#15 · (Edited)
When I restored my Daimler I wanted to have a hand painted pin stripe as the original was. At the time 3M did a tape that had a removable strip that could then be painted in by hand. I used it and it never fails to impress people at shows when I tell them I did it myself (i forget to tell them about the tape :lol:).
I've seen a GTV with a fine stripe on the edge of the swage line. It looked good but not necessary to me, the line is strong enough not to need highlighting.

Edit. I just found that 3M still do a range of striping tape (on their US web site) Finding out if my local paint factor will get it could be more of a challenge.

#16 ·
I can remember seeing the pin stripes being added on new cars on the production line in the late 1960s. It was done by hand just with two large ply-wood petterns held against each side of the cars. Other than that it was completely hand painted I believe and took less than a minute per side. Some skill in doing it though.

Pin stripes IMO are unnecessary and would look 'false'.

#26 ·
1D6 I remember that centre removed type, before brushing in with paint ;) I also remember a small hand applicator that had a paint reservoir that applied the paint evenly iirc? Never tried either myself, but went the 'easy' route where the gold/silver/black/red/white whu, plastic line self adhered.

As said it made life easier for example local repairing a lower door section prior to painting. Just remove the old stuck on coachline with a little heat prior to masking up, and when the panel had been re-sprayed to the break line and had hardened off, put a new stripe on where the old had been.:):

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.