Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Advice Needed - Swapping Brera for 159

Tags
swapping
3K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  Nev 
#1 ·
I've come to the painful and solid decision that my 3.2 Brera has to go and for the time being want to change to a 159 diesel variant. The principal reason is I can no longer stomach the running costs (£90 to fill a tank for less than 300 miles; £415 tax looming and a set of front tyres needed soon also).

My local Alfa Dealer have offered up a 57, 159 1.9jtdm Lusso with 70k on it as a straight swap for my Brera. I have yet to see the car in question but comparing the mileage/age etc with mine, I'm not so sure this is a great deal on the table. The high mileage puts me off in particular.

My Brera is a 3.24 Q4 SV with 35k on it - FSH etc and I paid 16k for it 18 months ago. It's in excellent condition and I'm interested in what people think a px with a dealer would fetch? Looking at similar 159 diesels, they seem to be up for between 8 and 9k on autotrader and I'd be thinking mine would still be worth 10k at least?

Any thoughts - is the dealer trying to pull a fast one? What should I expect otherwise for a straight swap? Any similar stories to share and indeed, anyone interested in a straight swap for a 159 diesel with less miles (1.9 or 2.4 considered).

Cheers

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Does seem a bit of a duff deal but stealers will take the p**s unfortunately...and they will use the fact it's a 3.2 to the max

It's a shame I've got to downside or I'd be offering you a swap for a Blackline diesel!!!

#4 ·
Nev knows as he's done it.

The 159 is a good car but after something as special as a Brera with the range topping drivetrain & engine, going to a 1.9 159 and a non-Ti to boot would make you really upset every morning.

If I (God forbid) was in your situation I'd be going non Alfa:(

#5 ·
Thanks Guys...

From a 'significant' lowering of performance point of view - I'm not hugely bothered and this is a shortish term option for the next 12-18 months as I need money to renovate my house.

The going non-Alfa option is a glaring consideration but I'm nervous of going to the dark side after 20 years of exclusive Alfa and Fiat ownership...

All said, I'm going to 'test drive' the 1.9 on monday but will keep my options open...

Again, much appreciated...

#6 ·
A 2.4 Ti 159 could be a viable alternative but you'd really have to do the sums.

I'd be happy in a Ti again, either a modded 2.2, 1750 with a fruity exhaust or happiest of all in a 3.2Q4 which are too rare for words otherwise I'd have one:cool:

G
#10 ·
Maybe the 2.4 159 jtd would be a nicer compromise to live with?

Has plenty of torque and you still gain twice the fuel economy of the 3.2.

Drove a friend's 159 1.9d and was disappointed at how little urge it had although he tells me it runs on the proverbial smell of an oily rag.

#11 ·
After reading this thread I think I had better stand in the corner and hang my hear in shame because 1. I drive a 159 rather than a Brera and 2. It is a 1.9jtdm. This must mean I have the worst car possible, oh, hang on a second I forgot, it is bleedin' marvellous!!

I'm sure the Brera is magnificent, and if the lads were way younger, or had bogged off and got a job, then I would probably have one. But the 159 is a "bitter disappointment"? Really?

Love mine to bits. Practical, cheap, reliable and actually a pretty decent turn of speed (when correctly fettled).

So don't take the doom and gloom of all on here to heart, test drive a few decent examples and I'm sure you won't be that desperately disappointed.
Two cars that do very different jobs.

G
#12 ·
If you want to go down the cheapest Alfa route and still want a car that feels 'special' as only a coupe can then go for a GT. I'm pretty sure you could sell your car for over £10k and then you could easily buy a Blackline or even a Q2 (not sure if Cloverleafs are in the £10k price range as yet). I like you had a 3.2 V6 Q4 but in the 159 guise and was managing 17mpg and it was costing me £160 a month in petrol. My remapped Blackline is almost as quick but now I manage over twice that mpg and it is costing me £60 a month in fuel. I'm not sure what the 0-60 time is since the remap but I can assure you not many cars have kept it with me as yet :)

#15 ·
The 159 1.9jtdm will certaintly help you out in saving a packet of money over the brera and the 159 is still a looker and i would sooner have a 159 over any other brand in that segment.
In terms of a straight swap for your Brera i think the dealer is pulling a fast one - but i guess that is to be expected. I was only offered £5k for my 159 1.9jtdm with 90K miles for a 56 reg middle of last year as a part ex if that gives you some indication.
So i decided to keep it and have now done 108k miles so i really wouldnt be too worried with a 70k mileage car. One thing you could insist on if you go for the car is a cambelt and waterpump change since this costed me around £1400 to undertake as its a big job.
Good luck in the car hunt.

#16 ·
One thing you could insist on if you go for the car is a cambelt and waterpump change since this costed me around £1400 to undertake as its a big job.
Good luck in the car hunt.
Yes it's a big job. But you were robbed! :(

The full 70k service, cam belt and water pump cost £500+VAT at my indie.

#17 ·
i wouldn't worry about a 57-plate diesel with 70k on the clock. that kind of mileage implies plenty of long motorway journeys which really don't place much stress on a car at all

as for brera vs 159 well that's a personal choice i suppose, tomatos tomaytos, potatoes potartoes as they say. a 1.9jtdm will certainly save you a fortune on fuel though - wouldn't be surprised if it halves your bills

#20 ·
What about a GT?, nice looking car, seats 4, well sorted reliable as well, no issues with DPF, economical (I had 1.9 JDTm), also hold their value quite well, does not have the presence of a Brera, but could be a good alternative. I think some of the current models are 170 bhp

#21 ·
That would be a sizable step back too, more so than the 159 IMHO.

Build quality, ride & safety are in a different Century (we have one of each).

#23 ·
The cash you loose due to poor demand for V6 cars (So the Dealers would have you think) will pay for the saving you make in fuel having a diesel, dont loose your smile for no gain, do the sums keep your 3.2 and miss out first and third gear when possible, I am getting 19 MPG doing that.

#25 ·
£415 tax looming
You guys in the UK are sooooo lucky... It's euro1566 to tax a 3.2 here for the year... :cry:

Motor Tax Rates Based on Engine Size - Department of the Environment, Heritage & Local Government

To be honest a swap for that 159 for your Brera sounds like bit of a rough deal... This might sound dumb (or already said above); but if you sold your car privately and then went with cash you'd buy a lot nicer 159, plus have change left over, I'm guessing...

I'm sick of dealers throwing the whole "Oh it's a 3.2 petrol" argument.. The 3.2 is more expensive to start with when new!! There are still loads of 30-somethingish lads living at home with their parents on good money who will snap up a car like your Brera in a heartbeat. My brother is an example; he's at home with the folks pulling in ok-ish cash in his job and he's toying with the idea of buying a Porsche ffs. He's driven my 159 and he said he'd like something "with a bit more poke".... Right! I suggested a 3.2 Brera (of course) and he's 'thinking about it'... it must be great to have cash to play with. ::sigh::

Anyway, if I were you I woundn't go with that deal... but that's just me.

The very best of luck with your next Alfa-hunt. :thumbs: :D

Cheers,
C. Herb.

#27 ·
A really bad deal. Don't do it :)

Look on autotrader nationwide and 159 diesels 1.9 l with 70 ish k are selling around 6.5 - 7 k there are a few

Check out your Breda and they are all selling for 10.5 - 11.5 k

Try selling privately for 10k or thereabouts or some other way for nearer that figure

Then buy a 2.4 diesel for 10 k or less or a 2.2 jts for again 7 - 8 k with low mileage
Or cheap low mileage 1.9 diesel

Don't swap it and make the choice yourself with what you want to do

At these prices you can remap 2.2 or diesels and enjoy them

I bought a lovely 2.4 diesel with 27k for 10k not long ago

#29 · (Edited)
Just an update ... I went ahead and did a (relatively) simple swap of the Brera 3.2 to the 1.9jtdm. After a very limited 48 hours of ownership I have to say I haven't looked back one bit and no regrets or yearnings whatsoever!

Indeed the performance isn't lightning quick (the Angel mobile tuner is coming saturday which should go someway to addressing this) but this same-year-as-Brera model is pure class and luxury in my book. The absence of severe tramlining, vague steering, excessive roll, far more cabin room and general refinement have made me think why I didn't do this sooner...

It actually had 45k on the clock (not 70k as originally stated by dealer) which is a bonus and I think I've done pretty well out of this 'straight swap'.

O.k. it's not quite in the same league looks wise but the biggest thing that has genuinely put a smile on my face is a more-than-significant leap from 18.6mpg -> 38.5mpg (Average)...

I appreciate this move wouldn't suit everyone... perhaps I'm getting old though the more I think about things, I think I had a dog-of-a-Brera that was likely abused in it's previous life (as a lease car with Fiat auto contracts)... This is a shame as again, looks aside, I have no real fond memories of Brera ownership - the 159 feels completely right for me!

btw, it was being pitched at £9.8k at the dealers with all the same trimmings/options as the Brera... Leather, Carbonio Black... it's on a Northern Irish plate ... which in my book, makes it almost a personalised registration for free

The only minor gripe is 17" and not the horseshoe 18"s - but I guess this accounts some way for the improved ride and comfort.

Most importantly - I've kept myself in the Alfa fold, this being the 12th model I've owned - only defecting once to a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo - which I miss to this day - I can feel a weekend car coming on

Thanks for all your help and advice on this one guys!

#30 ·
btw, it was being pitched at £9.8k at the dealers with all the same trimmings/options as the Brera... Leather, Carbonio Black... it's on a Northern Irish plate ... which in my book, makes it almost a personalised registration for free :)

The only minor gripe is 17" and not the horseshoe 18"s - but I guess this accounts some way for the improved ride and comfort.

G
#34 ·
If you are going to a 159 take the 17s.

They are cheaper tyres and they aren't as easily kerbed as the 18s
And they don't look too out of place on the 159 compared to the Brera.

I banged a high kerb yesterday after being almost pushed off a roundabout
(typical French driving) and zero damage to my rear 17.
An 18 would have been (cosmetically) destroyed by the impact. ;)

#32 ·
I went to look at a Mazda 3MPS a couple of weeks ago. For my 27k 57-plate Brera V6 I was quoted a trade value of £10.5k, and offered £11.5k as a trade-in against the Mazda.

For all the money (i.e. car "value") you're losing switching to the 159 you could pay for the increased fuel for another year or so (and still have a Brera). Remember that the 159 will need tyres too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.