Alfa Romeo Forum banner

does my car have an alarm?

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  .:ian:. 
#1 ·
MY p plate GTV has no alarm klaxon, it's been removed from under the plastic cover on the offside. The car still seems to 'try' to trigger the alarm though. if you open it with a key without using the fob to open the central locking, then the harards flash and the LED on the dash flashes. The car starts fine though. My Alfa dealer has told me the Alarm control unit is with the klaxon under the offside black plastic cover but there is no sign of it. If it's been removed, whats causing the flashy hazards etc??

#2 ·
What type of fob do you have? There are several common systems fitted to phase 1 GTVs by dealers as well as the original factory system. Some have a separate control box located inside the car. Factory and dealer-fit alarm options do not affect the immobiliser; that is a completely separate system.

#5 ·
its a factory fit

The alarm must be a factory fit, or did dealers fit Meta alrms too. The klaxon is already missing but the alarm unit trip sometimes causing the hazards to operate whilst driving the car ( in the rain usually).
It's not under drivers side black plastic cover under the bonnet, nor is it behin the drivers footwell kick panel....where the hell is it...

My local dealer insists that it is under that plastic cover under the bonnet along with the alarm. It's not there, if it's been removed how come the hazards operate if u open the car with a key but without operating the Meta fob first.

#6 ·
Goudy sent this link to me a yesterday as i'm having issues with mine. These are the guys to talk to if you have a meta alarm!

Car Security

#7 ·
When i bought my GTV in March i noticed that there was no audible noise from the alarm when it was turned on/off. So i pressed the panic button on the remote(laserline)

The hazards flashed but no siren!! I had a quick nosey under the plastic cover in the engine bay & found the siren there. The connections were all buggered up so i did a bit of a rewire!! All sorted now!!

#8 ·
I think my flashing-hazards-in-the-rain symptom was because somebody has removed the alarm klaxon, leaving the connectors free in the space beneath that plastic cover over the offside wheel under the bonnet. I guess in heavy rain they are shorting and triggering the alarm module, wherever that is and setting off the hazards. I clean cut the wires, put heatshrink over them and i hasn't happened since. My god..i might have fixed something!

G
#11 ·
Alarm brain location on phase 1

Have a look behind your speedo remove the two screws and it should be nestled in behind the clocks thats where mine had been fitted.
It was removed last week and had a TOAD AI606 with remote start fitted.

Hope that helps

#13 ·
Here is some detailed info where the Meta M99 Alarm system fitted to mostGTV's Meta M99

The Alfa Romeo alarm ECU is combined with the siren that lives under the offside plastic cowl in the engine bay.

There is another system that was fitted to I think early Phase1 cars, this was the Scopion 918U system and I believe the ECU is behind the instument cluster.

Any other make of alarm will be an after market system fitted.

#14 ·
Ian..what were you doing with the whole dash off? Braver man than I !!!!! ta for the tip though, but does yours hava Meta alarm?

Thing is that mine has a Meta remote fob which actuates the central locking and trips the hazards ( nowt else tho' , the klaxon has been removed ) if the door is opened without operating the fob. BUT...there is DEFFO no unit in the centre console near or under or behind the radio. SO....Stixy...again thanks for the lead but my Meta alarm is either elswhere...or removed and the central locking / hazards-on-when-door-opened-without-fob symptom is being controlled by a separate unit controlling C/L ?????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.