Alfa Romeo Forum banner

156 Traction Control

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Shad 
#1 ·
Excuse me being thick, but I just assumed that the traction control on my new 2002 156 JTS would stop the inside front wheel spinning when pulling out from a junction quickly on a wet road - but apparantly not.

The warning light comes on when I turn on the ignition and it goes off after that, so I assume that the system is functional. I've tried it with the "TCS off" button in either position, in case I was wrong in assuming that its light should be off for the system to work.

Am I misinterpreting what the TCS is meant to do or is my car a bit dodgy?

Cheers,
Graham :confused:

#2 ·
Alfiejts said:
Excuse me being thick, but I just assumed that the traction control on my new 2002 156 JTS would stop the inside front wheel spinning when pulling out from a junction quickly on a wet road - but apparantly not.
It will reduce it a bit, but not completely. Thankfully the Alfa system still allows a bit of slip so if you are setting off quickly, the engine doesn't bog down like a lot of the other systems. VW's are particularly bad. The Alfa system is more like a calming hand rather than an abrubt telling off.

If you turn it off (light on) you should notice a big difference.

:)

#3 ·
Just as Ricky said, the ASR on the Alfas is more permissive. Even so... sometimes I turn it off. ;)

#4 ·
Thanks chaps. Much appreciated. I'll have to wait for the ice and snow to give it a real go then!
Does anyone know if the warning light in the speedo blinks when the system kicks in or is there no real way of knowing?

Now for the next challenge - to find where they hide the gyroscope that controls the ADC system! :lol: :lol:

G
#7 ·
Have to say I always drive with mine turned off. I find it too intrusive coming out of roundabouts, I find my right foot is a far more effective method of controlling the power :p ;)

Also, I've had it leave me stuck coming out of junctions in the past, a little bit of slippage and it engages and kills the power, so I have to wait before I can get out the way of the on coming cars!!

Again with the also... if accelerating say up hill, and you go over a small hole or maybe a man-hole cover and a wheel looses grip, it kills the power!

I just find the whole ASR system really annoying. So as I said, I usualy drive with it off :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.