Alfa Romeo Forum banner

My new K&N arrived today

3K views 38 replies 8 participants last post by  Squadrone Rosso 
#1 ·
Ok, so my new K&N replacement element arrived today.

First the good news.

Access and fitting despite it being in wing is dead easy. Wheel off, four screws removed from the lining, and access is clear and good.

Now the bad news. The bloody thing below was already there. What is it ? Looks like an induction kit, as there doesn't seem to be an airbox .

So, the question is where is my airbox and is this thing better than my shiny new replacement element ?

Does anyone have a standard airbox spare ?

:confused:

Auto part Wire

See less See more
#3 ·
Ahhh right. Thanks for that.

Funnily enough car was bought originally from Mangos.

Is that a bit of a bonus then ?

I'll check out the thread.

In the meantime I may have a brand new K&N element for sale.

:)

G
#7 ·
Trouble with the induction mod is that it's not standard and
could prove to be an insurance issue if you don't declare it.

Drop in replacement is "hidden".

(Especially good in France where any mods are frowned upon.)

;)

#10 ·
Another member on this forum had issues with Mangoletsi and when they did the recall for the original rust box filter they wouldn't supply him with the new K&N one

When he tried independantly to get the parts K&N identified it was only rated for 165BHP

I'm sure the said person will read this and add some further comment for you

#12 ·
G
#17 ·
I had the original mangos one in my old 2.2 JTS and I must say the noise was out of this world...I later couple dit with a Ragazzon exhaust back box. Whoever has that car now is very, very lucky as as per normal I didn't keep it long (its the actual car used on the Mangos site to advertise the exhaust)

#19 ·
Yes, Mangos should replace that to the new Mangos Mod 4 - which actually uses a K&N to replace the cone filter. Much better than a panel filter, better mid-high rev performance and much quicker throttle response. Interesting to see what it looks like, as said, they are well hidden under normal circumstances!

#22 ·
That twin cone is what's on mine just now. Cleaned up & re-oiled it does sound awesome but I reckon the car is down on torque & is lumpy when cold (too much air perhaps)?

May go back to the standard airbox & the Autodelta. Less sound but better overall.

Decisions.....

#23 ·
You aren't wrong, although the cold lumpy on mine is only for a couple of minutes.

Daft question, but what's a twin cone btw ? 2 cones ?

Difficult for me to compare on torque as I've only known this set up.

Somebody must have have a standard airbox kicking around surely ?

:p

Ps thanks to all that have added value in this thread.

#30 ·
Back to standard induction & free flow AD filter today, coupled with an ECU reset.

Less intoxicating noise but a much better rounded package with much more low down grunt:)

No more silly cone filters for me - lesson learned!!

#32 ·
I have the replacement KN filter now but seriously considering if I should even bother fitting it as although the induction noise is good with the existing Mod4 filter, low down the car has gradually become quite jerky to drive and the does not seem as willing to pull low down as compared to the original AD filter and standard airbox. Am also contemplating putting the standard gear back with Autodelta filter.

SR : How did you fit the orignal induction back? Was it easy enough to do i.e. do i need the front bumper off? Also, is it just a matter of disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU?

#33 · (Edited)
Bumper has to come off - I'll post a pic.

Pretty easy job, say half hour tops.

Reset ECU by disconnecting the battery for 45 mins, reconnecting it, key in for 90 secs, key out for 90 secs. Key back in & start with no throttle. Let idle for 15 mins. Turn off for 10 mins then fire her up & go for a blast.

Car feels reborn today:)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.