Alfa Romeo Forum banner

£10,000...147 gta or 156 gta what would you buy? why would you buy?

Tags
000147 buy
3K views 47 replies 25 participants last post by  7re43d2 
#1 ·
ive got 10 grand 2 spend give or take. cant decide and need help!!!

#37 ·
Throughout the last 7 years of Top Gear, the 147 GTA has sat as a constant reminder of its greatness, firmly in the "cool" section of the TG Cool Wall. Its true – watch the repeats on Dave and you'll see it in the background. A red one. Its cool. Kristin Scott Thomas would agree.

#39 ·
I would never consider myself too old or too young for a certain type of car.

If you do that you are clearly worried what others think, and to be honest you need to worry about what you think and nothing else. After all you are the one that is buying it and driving it.

#40 ·
TBH I don't think age really has anything to do with it. What it boils down to is what you actually like in a car.
I've always had hatches or estates because I like the practicality of being able to carry stuff around and I find a saloon too restrictive.
For example next weekend I'm going to a LAN party so I have to load 2 full size tower PCs and all associated peripherals, bedding for the weekend, at least one large office char (2 if they'll fit) and everything else my son and I will need for the weekend. I could fit most of it in a saloon but it's a lot easier to fit into the large load area when the seats are down.

Apart from that I just love the styling of the 147.

G
#41 ·
The GTA is a very 'manly' car in both guises. Unga Bunga!!! I don't see either as being too young/old. The only car I would feel a bit old for in the Alfa range is the MiTo as I would with any super-mini (don't feel particulalry great when driving my missus' white Grande Punto but it's a cracking car). She has mentioned getting a Mini next....oh god let's hope my cars never breakdown :lol:

#46 ·
The thing is I have owned several Alfa's, at least one of each type that I like and I fancied a change.

The Puma was a bit of a culture shock and for the first few days I wondered if I had done the right thing buying it. But it does grow on you quickly especially if you drive on twisty roads.

Anyway, this is off topic. ;)

Buy something because you like it, not because what others think. Otherwise you may as well forget Alfas and just buy something mainstream like a Vauxhall or a Mazda.

#47 ·
Personally I prefer the 147 to the 156, mainly because when I drive saloons I find it hard to tell where the boot ends when reversing.

Failing that, I looked at a 156 when buying my asda and the interior didn't look right, maybe a little dated compared to the 147 I eventually nought. Maybe alfa have updated it in more recent models (was a 00 x plate).

During the stereotyping fire, my first car at 19 was a Granada followed by a sierra at 19 then an Orion at umm 19 again. Then it was various hatches till my last car pug 406.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.