Alfa Romeo Forum banner

147 Rear Lights Wiring Help Needed

Tags
lights wiring
5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  rathkennades 
#1 ·
Hello to all...

Picked up my first Alfa at the weekend. 2001 147 1.6 Lusso.

I have the rear side light 'always on' problem, and was wondering if it would be possible to connect a switch up to the rear side light, and have it in the boot, so that I don't have to keep unplugging the wiring connecter that goes into the light.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the rear lights. Or could you tell me which wire is the rear side light.

Any help would be much appreciated.

#4 ·
this may not be a computer fault. the wires that run up the corner to the rear light can get pinched or nibbled by mice !! its true, this will usually result in failure of indicator and lights and give constant blown bulb warning...i know this is not hats happen to you but if the wires are pinched they could be shorting and causing similar issues..its not too hard to get in and have a look. rear light comes out okay...

#9 ·
Thanks for all your replies. I have just replaced the front sidelight bulbs, and then got the rear side light bulb warning on the dash. I assume this means that the body computer will need replacing and programming to the car, and this will be a very expensive job?
This is why I want to put a switch onto the rear light cluster, so that the wires don't get damaged by repeatedly unplugging them.

#10 ·
Have you tried to pull out wires one by one from its socket, just to see which one is for sidelight. As I remember,trere is 4 wires, one is probably zero (0), and three are pluses (+),and one of them is for sidelight

But still it is not the solution, find the source of a problem

#11 ·
OP, I had the same problem, and while the guys suggesting replacing the BC are right, I know I simply couldn't afford it. So, I wired a tap from the left tail light (working fine) to the right tail light (glowing constantly) and snipped off the wire from the BC. Battery hasn't drained since!

Get a multimeter to see which is the positive on both sides, and use a similar gauge of wire to connect the two. Problem covered up!

#12 ·
Thanks rathkennades,

I ran a wire from the left light to the right light, and I now have a properly working rear right light that I don't need to keep unplugging ( though obviously I'm still getting the rear brake / side light failed warning flashing up). Did you find a fix to stop the failed light warning flashing up?

#13 ·
I never actually got a rear light warning. My warning is about the front side lights, and the indicators (rapid ticking on one side). Same solution for all, and I've just learned to live with the warnings!

For neatness, it is possible to graftcthe wires together where the plugs exit the body computer under the dash. This just makes it tidier. Wiring diagrams are a bit of a PITA though.

For long term, you will need to replace the BC, but I'm just a bit cheap to do it now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.