Alfa Romeo Forum banner

156 Facelift front end, bolt on?

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Prof Peach 
G
#1 ·
ok, I expect to get some abuse for this... but meh, **it happens. Dont ask, dont get.

What are the differences between the pre-facelift and facelift 156? And would it be possible to swap the front end from the latter onto the former?

I know of one sat in a scrappy with heavy rear end damage, the yard is owned by a friend so I could get hold of the front wings, bonnet, lights and other parts easily and cheaply.

Was it a whole front end re-design, or just different bits bolted onto the same frame?

I guess I would need the slam panel and perhaps any valance type things lurking underneath.

Pipe dream? or Interesting project?

#4 ·
Wings are just bolted, although they are also sealed down the door post so you need a sharp Stanley blade. And a good pick to dig all the underseal out of the Torx bolts that hold the bottom of the wing on from below.

The spot welded front crossmember is also different but I don't think you actually need this part to do the conversion, you can live without it.

G
#6 ·
Think I'll have to look into this more then. :thumbs:

I reckon I could get it all for a couple of hundred squids and do the work myself.

My only doubt is the colour, its a silver car and looks like mine, but I have no idea on alfa paint and what code mine is, or that one is. If it involved a front end respray it would stop being quite so financially viable :lol:

G
#11 ·
Fingers crossed.

If its not a match, I could do with sorting my stonechips and it does look like my bumper has had a bad blowover at some point and there is a crack in the bumper and I'm sure I could think of a few other reasons why having it sprayed would be money well spent when the wife starts complaining...

G
#13 ·
And to me...

Sadly I don't think 'er indoors will understand the importance and pioneering spirit... I predict a reply of 'but apart from the looks, why?'

Which always leaves me stumped... Obviously the true and justified answer is 'cos it will look cool'... but somehow, thats never enough for her :confused:

#14 ·
A few things you could tell her

A) the newer shape lights are wider and brighter beams, which ultimately means safer.
B) the new wings and bumper increase the crumple zone in a crash, which means safer.
C) the longer bonnet ridge and new paint combination, makes the rain run off faster, and thus washing takes less time. And safer.

#15 ·
Get the Autotrader out and start looking at newer shape cars.

"Flippin eck Mrs Munky..... have you seen how much of OUR money I would have to spend to get one of those rather nice facelift Alfa's....? Oh if only there was a simple, cost effective way to get the look without having to go through the hassle of hoovering out our car and selling it to a tyre kicking boy racer...? I was talking to xxx the other day and he said he's getting in one of those and I can have the bits for £xxx (tell her less than is true).... "

Might work. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.