Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Top speed?

Tags
speed top
4K views 66 replies 25 participants last post by  turbonutters 
#1 ·
Last night I took my GTV out for a quick spin down my private autobahn:)cheese:)

...I ended up confirming 275km/h indicated (Needle 15km/h off clock) and 268 on GPS. The GTV was still pulling.:cool:

That is around 170mph!:wow: In a stock GTV with 100K miles on the clock and the cat still fitted! How is this possible!?:thumbs:

#2 ·
you need to take into account your engine speed ie rev counter and it`s tolerance , ie +/- 10%, and work out the worst case, ie minus 10%.

then you need to find out your final drive ratio for your gearbox box, ie mph per 1000 revolutions.

then do the simple equation.

your GPS should be accurate, if the engine is reving high enough then maybe it is possible.

were you driving down a very long steep hill?

does your gtv have a rev limiter?

#5 ·
Hey Scot, it was on level road. My tires are 205/55/16 so they're just a smidge larger than standard. The tank was full, wheels not pumped to full pressure... Mmmm, perhaps I can do 170mph? :lol:
The revs at some point were passing 6500 as I passed 260km/h.

#15 ·
well she absolutely ha.........loves it :thumbs: but then again this is the 3rd alfa in the driveway!! oh and a 15 year old fiat! i think she has the patience of a saint especially when the bill comes for them when they are in the mechanics!! at least the Brera has years warranty :thumbs:
but i will say that it was an interesting night when i brought her home.... all i can say is thank God for 24 hour Tescos!! :cheese:

#18 ·
when you think about it though, he got 167.5mph, a lot of supercars have a limit of 165, Jaguar XJ if im right? so imagine spending so much money on the Jag and then being overtaken by an Alfa that could be bought with a months wage and there is nothing the Jag can do to catch up! i think thats classic :cheese:

#19 ·
So many variables. If you want to split hairs you could also argue that as the speed increases so does the overall diameter of wheel/tyre thereby increasing the gearing but negating the frontal area effect theory.
From my own experience (obviously not me doing it) a good V6 GTV wouldn't take too much persuading to see those figures of Ian's even if it does need a long enough road on humid night with a tail wind.

#42 ·
We hit 163 on a German Autobhan in our Q2 3.2V6 GT.

Garmin & Snooper both gave the same reading.

My mildly tweaked Brera with me in it (fat car, fat bloke) will go off the 160mph clock if you use the gears but will stick at 140ish if you try to go from 70 in 6th.

Not big, not clever, just a fact:)

#44 ·
Last night I took my GTV out for a quick spin down my private autobahn:)cheese:)

...I ended up confirming 275km/h indicated (Needle 15km/h off clock) and 268 on GPS. The GTV was still pulling.:cool:

That is around 170mph!:wow: In a stock GTV with 100K miles on the clock and the cat still fitted! How is this possible!?:thumbs:
Thats is bloody Amazing !!! Your so lucky having your own private Autobahn !! Its good to know my GTV could possibly do the same speed. Unfortunately I dont have my own private autobahn and have to use the public autobahn which is monitored by the Nazi German SS Police. Speed limit is strongly enforced and Max speed limit is 110 Km/h :cry::cry::cry:

With all the discussion going on I wonder if the GTV can get up to 300 Km/h ??!!

#45 ·
Thats is bloody Amazing !!! Your so lucky having your own private Autobahn !! Its good to know my GTV could possibly do the same speed. Unfortunately I dont have my own private autobahn and have to use the public autobahn which is monitored by the Nazi German SS Police. Speed limit is strongly enforced and Max speed limit is 110 Km/h :cry::cry::cry:

With all the discussion going on I wonder if the GTV can get up to 300 Km/h ??!!

Nitrous anybody? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.