Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Parking Alignment Question... sort of strange

2K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  GTMAT 
#1 ·
It's a bit of a strange question but here it goes... I've recently bought a 159 TI sedan and am having problems aligning the car straight when parking on street curb or even in parking stations.... I think it has to do with the dash sort of pointing in towards the driver.

I've had a 147 for several years and never had this issue (not any other car) but the 159 it's always a little off with the front pointing left when I think it's straight.... anyone had a similar issue?

#2 ·
Thats bizzare..... thought it was just me.

Ive never had a problem with any other car before but it takes me several attempts to get it parrallel on my drive, its always out one way or another, dont have the same problem with the Mrs car... :confused:

G
#7 ·
I used to open the door on the Brera when reversing into a slot.

Still find it an issue to judge the front of the 159 (leaving a foot at the front) whereas the
Brera I could judge to within an inch. How weird is that!? :confused:

#6 ·
I used to use the reverse auto dip feature on the door mirror but it keeps sticking there so it annoys me.... so dont use it now, took em 6 months to fix it last time and out of warranty now...

#11 ·
Glad it's not just me! I've found the trick is to try not to let your peripheral vision stray downwards towards the dash when lining up. Instead I try to fixate on the two "humps" on top of the the instrument cluster and line up with that instead. Once you're aware that you're doing it, the problem solves itself :)

#12 ·
Thank god you posted this...I can stop my treatment for dementia. My parking got so bad even the missus noticed. I would drive into a bay, park what I thought was parallel to the car next to me, start to walk away and realize I was so skewed I would go back and straighten it up. I thought I was losing it.

#20 ·
I find parallel parking or parking in the street next to a kerb no problem, using the mirrors to align myself but, am terrifed of crunching my lush 19" alloys however, at work I reverse park into a bay and it has been driving me crazy that I always get out of the car and realise I am skewed in the slot, something which I could never fathom out. It seems the offset angle of the dash deceives the brain, not that mine takes much deceiving nowadays. Weird though :confused:

#23 ·
So glad you posted this too as my father-in-law has been criticising me about parking wonky on his drive, i am going print this out and show him. As for parallel parking, which I have to do outside my house, I can do it easy when looking over my right shoulder but end up in a right mess when i try the other way, this must be because of the "dash-effect", it all makes sense now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.