Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Missing my 159

Tags
missing
3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  dannacet 
#1 ·
Well earlier this year I sold my 159 2.4JTDm as I was offered a fantastic deal on a BMW 330d. This turned out to be a complete nightmare, so I sold it and bought a Ford Mondeo Mk4 which is an excellent car, but I'm missing my 159 a lot. i've had the Mondeo since Aug, and don't get me wrong it's a really really good car, but I keep looking at 159 TI 2.4 on autotrader and pistonheads. Should I risk divorce (again) and financial ruin (can only really stretch to 14k at the moment) and look into another 159? lol

#2 ·
Wow......it'll take a braver man than me to advise you on that one mate!:lol:

All I will say it that I bought my 159 2.4 (SW) from an independant Dealer last May for £14k (57 plate with 27k on the clock) and have been delighted with it. I've had to have a new clutch master cylinder (under warranty) but other than that it's run faultlessly.

#3 ·
:lol: Go for it! Anything to get you out of a Mundano

What was wrong with the BM? What age was it?

#6 ·
Well after seeing a couple of 159s at the PH show yesterday, I've decided to have a closer look at a TI at Lipscomb (they have 2 with the 1.9 JTDm) but try and drive a TBi and a 2.4 JTDm. Likely that the 2.4 will be mor ein budget due to age but we will see. Anyone on here had a good deal from Allams?

#8 ·
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but here goes...

Stopped the idea of another 159 due to financial issues but earlier this year (June) I sold it and bought a Honda S2000. In the mean time I drove the other 159 on the company fleet and loved it (again) and the S2000 isn't really working for me, so I'm keen for another 159. So I'd love a Ti, but can't stretch to the cost so a Lusso with 18s is the next best thing and well within budget. I'm thinking of selling the S2000 soon, but have a couple of initial questions.

How can I tell the difference between the 200 and 210bhp engine for the 2.4JTDm? (prefer the 210 version)

How easy can I obtain a set of 18" horeshoe alloys for the car? And how much?

Thanks

#9 ·
As you open the drivers door, look down by the lock latch, there should be a grey/silver sticker there. This will/should tell you the spec and bhp of the car.
I got a set of 18" Horse Shoes off a fellow AO member, about £350 for a decent set (with tyres as well). But they come up once in a while, so start looking now. New price is a bit on the harsh side for my wallet.

Hope you find a good one, I love my lowly 1.9jtdm!

#10 ·
Save the cash and buy a 3.2V6 lusso. Then use the cash you save to pay for miles of smiles:) A small price to pay for the V6 sound and frankly having had the 2.4 the fuel economy is not a million miles off (30mpg versus 20-22 in the V6) Plus none of the EGR or swirl valve issues on the petrol engines:)

#11 ·
Unfortunately the cost of petrol v diesel and the associated mpg and living in Britain (road tax etc..) is way too much of a bullet to bite! I would love, I say LOVE to run a petrol again, but the day to day cost is just daft if you do anything over 15K miles PA. I am around the 20K mark and the differential between petrol/diesel is crazy.
And if the car is run as a company car, the offset CO2 tax is really cheaper for diesel. Crazy but true!

#12 ·
I do around 12 to 13k a year. I have considered the 3.2 but they seem more expensive for some bizarre reason?

That was a good price for those alloys! Unlikely I can stretch to the ti so this looks like the best option for me.

#13 ·
I think I'll be missing mine soon, but she has to go :(

My 1.9JtdM Lusso has turned 102,000 reliable miles and been a joy. I would have kept it for another couple of years to 150,000 miles, but I needed a bigger estate to carry my race car bits and bobs.

At 102,000 miles it feels as well screwed together as my last car (530d) did, and has been much more reliable than my previous A4 1.9.

No electrical glitches, no trim rattles - it has been impressive. It's had a couple of creaks up front recently, one of which was cured with a reconditioned driveshaft, and the other one has hints of being the creaky steering rack (although it hasn't got any worse in the last 20,000 miles so I'm living with it....). Water pumps and tensioners can be a bit weak, so mine were replaced at 48,000 and 98,000 miles, along with the cambelt. Apart from that, it was all routine servicing.

I post this for two reasons, one as a tribute to 159 solidity and one as a cheap plug for the cheapest 159 on sale at the moment. If you want an honest car, with a creak! (that has been factored into the price) let me know as it is auctioned this week before I throw it in for p/x instead.

I'd love the car to go to a fellow enthusiast. As you can see from the ebay advert, I've been upfront about my creaks!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT

#14 ·
(your linky no worky ;) )

#17 ·
Basically it dumped fuel on the ground when I filled it up one day, it was difficult to start at times and the dealers wanted £140/hr to look at it. Adding anything electrical (ie a CD changer or ipod lead) was a nightmare as everything needs to be programmed. Even my mate who works for and loves BMW says they are far too complicated. Having said that it was very fast and economical.

I imagine the 335d is a great car when it's working.

Niether engine is a patch on the 159 in terms of looks or character, however you'd think otherwise looking at the resale values!

#18 ·
So I'm trying to sell the S2000 but not had a great deal of luck yet.

I went to see a 159 last week that I really liked, but that little sticker in the door shut wasn't there so couldn't tell if it's a 210 or not! Also, if it has B&M, how can I tell, as I only had a very quick look, the stereo came up with AUX on the display when I was pushing buttons but I couldn't find a usb slot in the glovebox?

#19 ·
No USB means no Blue and Me if I remember correctly.
You have to look at the top right corner of the glove box to see the USB connector, it has a little windows sticker next to it.
Can't think why someone should have taken the sticker out? Odd.

#20 ·
Can't think why someone should have taken the sticker out? Odd.
Respray? :confused::(

No USB = no B+M

The 210 engine looks different to the 200 engine. Remove plastic rocker hood cover and check.

#24 ·
The headunit will display Aux as an option on the display, but it just mean it has an Aux input on the rear of the unit...

The USB slot is the giveaway if it has blue and me... 200 or 210 is also stamped on the block, but as said above their should also be a sticker on the drivers side b post.

Failing that ask to see the log book :thumbs:

#25 ·
AT LAST!!!

Today I put a deposit on a black 57 plate 2.4 JTDm Lusso with 22k on the clock. Seems a really nice car and I can't wait until next Saturday when I pick it up.

It does have B&M and also is the 210 version.

Next week can't go quick enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.