Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Shaking engine, no power, driving like ****

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  SuperShelsFan 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have a Alfa 156 2L TS

The problems started when my car ran out of petrol about 6 months ago. After that it started to shake on start and was undriveable until it heated up to 90.

At this stage on startup it sometimes cuts out and revs like it has a mind of its own. After waiting 15 mins to heat up the car jumps when changing in every gear and once you go to 3/4k revs the car bounces very harshly along the road. When stopped at traffic lights it takes the car a good 10-15 seconds to rev enuf to change into 2nd.

I'm also having to sometimes half clutch/half throttle to get it moving when changed into a new gear.

Have checked the plugs and replaced 2 that looked gone. Changed coil pack aswell but nothing.

Was gonna change all plugs to see if thats the problem. They were done less than a yr ago/ 8k. They are the proper NGK plugs

I have seen similar problems on here with responses for the MAF, injectors, cam shaft sensor, any ideas?

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
The problems started when my car ran out of petrol about 6 months ago. After that it started to shake on start and was undriveable until it heated up to 90.
If problems started just after running out of petrol and filling up again it can be that some dirt from the bottom of your tank clogged the injectors when you run out of petrol. Maybe a thing to look at and have them cleaned.

#6 ·
Just an update..

I was reading another forum and I seen a similar problem with the advice to unplug the MAF

So I tried it, brought the car for a drive and the car was back to the days when I enjoyed driving it!!!!

Injector light came on but went off when I plugged the MAF back in!!

So looks like a new MAF should do the trick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.