Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Throttle body butterfly

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  gajh 
#1 ·
Hi was replacing my air box and had to take the top turbo pipe off and I noticed the butterfly in the throttle body was full of black stuff muck and open. Should it be open when car is off or should it be closed

Thanks

#3 ·
I think it only closes when you shut down the engine, to prevent any run-on if oil is leaking into your intake. I'll be rid of mine soon, as well as the EGR port. No more black stuff inside my engine thankyouverymuch :)

#7 ·
Not sure what its costing me yet, the guy who makes my Unicorse style exhausts is fabricating it for me. I'll know when I come to pay for it! Not sure if it would work on a 16v - I assume it would, it only moves on shut down anyway. When I come to fit it, I am going to re-work the air intake before the turbo to try and help it boost earlier. For now the side-mount intercooler will be staying, but a big front mount intercooler is something I'm looking at for the future.

#10 ·
I had a problem when switching my engine off it judder and wasn't smooth ended up being the throttle body not operating when engine switched off, apparently it must close when first switching off. Cleaned it and got alfadiag to run some tests now engine switches off smooth no juddering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.