Alfa Romeo Forum banner

why shouldnt i buy a bmw??

Tags
bmw buy
6K views 79 replies 39 participants last post by  mave 
#1 ·
ive had my 147 for over 6 months now and im dissapointed to say the least. i have had every common 147 problem and the rest!!! coming from a toyota with absolutley no problems in 9 years is making the alfa experience even worse. The only thing that i like about the 147 is the feeling when i put my foot down but that is getting a little annoying now as im only averaging 26 mpg!!!! i know this sounds like alfa bashing but honestly its not, i wouldnt dream of such a thing!!! I know im probably gonna get hammered for this thread but im only looking for honest unbiast opinions. soooo has anyone owned a bmw and an alfa (316 and 147) preferably, and if so how did they compare? Is there such a thing as car with alfa looks/desirability with toyota/bmw reliabilty???

G
#79 ·
I had to do the very same decision at the time I bought my 156.

- Alfa Romeo 156 SW, 2.4 JTDm, m.y. 2003, 140.000 km
- BMW 525D (E39 I believe), sedan, m.y. 2003, 130.000 km

Both cars had pretty much the same bells and whistles - as well as similar prices.

I drove both - having been driven before in a BMW, it didn't feel as special as I expected it to be. On the other hand, I fell in love with the 156 on first sight. When driving, I felt as I was a part of the car. Just to give you an idea how hooked I was, I didn't even notice one of the short beams wasn't working when I bought the car (admittedly it was during daylight)!
My thoughts now, one year into the Alfa ownership? I wouldn't do it again. Not with this particular car. Since then, it costed me about 4000 euros in parts and labor (all bar one - 700 euros' worth - being done at an independent garage with reasonable rates). I think I should've picked the BMW.

My next car? Either a 5-series or a 159, but more likely a BMW. I simply got tired of visiting the mechanic every month and wondering what will go down next. However, when buying used, every car is a lottery ticket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.