Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Hard Top

Tags
hard top
2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  seymour beaver 
#1 ·
Hi all, as promised pictures of the Spider with her "top on".

We did over 5,000 kms in four weeks, Warwickshire down to Spain via, Dover/Calais, to our home in Valencia and then back via Santander/Portsmouth.

The car was fantastic, didnt miss a beat (apart from when I parked it very low on fuel nose first up a very very steep hill.........it took a few churns to start), used 1/4 litre of oil, no water and averaged 34.2 mpg.

Not bad for a nine year old!!

It was very comfortable, bags of room for all our luggage (if packed carefully) and it was a joy to use it for 3 weeks with the roof off.

Looking forward to taking her back to Spain within the month and leaving her there (VIN number permitting)

If you are ever in Spain take the N623 from Santander to Burgos, what a road!!

Regards all

John

PS on the pics the boot is open, I havnt had a rear end shunt.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
its always nice to hear these kind of things...
by the way the hard-top doesnt look pretty in my opinion but its a must and every spider owner should have it if the car is used in winter ! at least you can defrost the rear screen and see behind when sunshines... i tried to buy one of those 2 years ago but found it very expensive (shipping to turkey!!!).
spider looks stunning!

#4 ·
Hi guys, it came with the car when I bought, I dont think the soft top had ever been up, the back window is crystal clear.

I have the invoice for the car as supplied new and in December 2000 it cost just under £1,920.00

The dealer who sold me the car suggested I put it on ebay, he said I would easily get £1,000.00 for it.

I am keeping it with the car...............for the time being!!

One benefit of the hard top is extra headroom v. the soft top. Its not a lot but I find with the soft top it catches the side of my head next to the top of the door, with the hard top on there is bags of clearance.

Regards all

John

#6 ·
Its surprising with the top on how many people ask "what sort of car is that?"/"how fast does it go?"/"I've never seen an Alfa like that, it looks great"

I agree, its not the best of looking things and far harder to put on remove than the hard top on a MX5.

However I'm not complaining, for what I paid to get a LHD one owner car with less that 40,000 miles on the clock and a FSH (not just stamps in the book, all the receipts), every MOT etc etc I was dead chuffed!!

Regards all

John

#9 ·
I doubt if they sold many at that price :eek:

It may not be the best looking thing in the world but it is quite interesting :)

As for how much you'd get for it on ebay, it has a very limited market
because it's colour matched so it might not actually be worth anywhere
near that much. But, if you're keeping it, that really doesn't matter :D

I quite like it :D

#19 ·
The hard top can be a handy item if you use a spider all year.Trouble is they are rare and very expensive.An mx5 or mgf hardtop can be had for a few hundred quid at most, a spider hardtop is a hefty price even secondhand.The spider hood is well insulated and good, ive actually bought 2 spare hoods one at £150 and one at £80 both with frames complete. The later needs a new rear window.The cheapest ive ever seen a spider hardtop for (in the last 2 years) was £600 !! The other issues are storage without damaging the hardtops and fitting a two person operation.Its probably easier to own an old gtv and spider combined!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.