Alfa Romeo Forum banner

GT- no acceleration, smoke and engine cut out...

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  hdseven 
#1 ·
Hi,

For the last month or so i've noticed the acceleration to my 1.9jtdm GT hasnt been what it used to be although it did pick up after around 2,500 rpm.

Last week however I drove it around for a short time with no problems, before going to pull away at a set of traffic lights to find that I had lost all acceleration and thick black smoke was coming from the exhaust. The engine also started struggling to tick over and after 5 minutes of trying, eventually wouldn't tick over at all.

I called the AA and they cleared the EGR (?) valve which seemed to do the trick (although accelerations still wasnt 100%) and said that it should solve the issue.

Today I have just driven round for a short time, to find that exactly the same problem has occurred again. No acceleration, car not ticking over and thick black smoke from the exhaust.

Does anyone have any ideas of the problem? Likely cost of getting it fixed, etc?

Thanks in advance....

Ben

See less See more
#3 ·
hi, if this helps anyone... my 156 JTD had the same problems, very sluggish lots of black smoke, poor performance and drinking lots of diesel. After few miles the dashboard computer flashed with the message "go to dealer".
I was very near Halfords Autocentre centre in Byfleet at the time, they plugged that diagnostic machine and they changed the ECR valve for about £200 (in Aug/2010). The car drove like a brand new after that and again very economical.
I hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.