Alfa Romeo Forum banner

EGR advice (yes another one)

Tags
egr
2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  CDM 
#1 ·
Evening everyone

Been suffering occasional hesitations when pulling away, a quick search on here pointed me in the right direction of the EGR valve.

So this evening I've had the valve off given it a good clean with carb cleaner and refitted.

Sorted ? not a chance made it worse, no massive hesitation as occasionally was happening but now always very sluggish till it hits 2500/3000 rpm and even above that not as quick as it should be.

So off it came again double checked everything, with the actuator (solenoid?) off, the valve is fully closed. When I fasten the actuator back on it slightly opens the valve, is this correct or is the actuator faulty? I can press the actuator shaft back by about 3 to 4 mm but it pops back out again.

Refitted and it was just the same, so followed the advice on here and knocked up a coke can blanking plate, fitted it and hey presto the cars back to it's normal self, pulls strongly from 1500rpm hit's 2000rpm and it's off all the way to the rev limiter.

So am I right in assuming it's a new EGR valve required or have I missed something else?

Cheers

Carl

See less See more
#2 ·
I had my EGR blocked off with a bit of can, after a few thousand miles it was removed when i went to get some work done by Smaky. we found a hole had been blown in it! most of the missing can was found at the EGR exit, but some was never located... maybe i was unlucky (or lucky it did no damage?) as i know loads of people do this, but i would use something thicker - i now have it blocked off with a 2mm plate... my 2 pence

#3 ·
Thanks for that will be fixing it tommorow, my intention isn't to run with the bit of coke can, I just tried it to prove to myself it's definitely an issue with the egr valve, and by the fact it runs fine blocked I assume it is.

Off to the dealers for me tomorrow, Vauxhall dealers that is, cheaper to start with and also get trade, just the fun of getting the right part :rolleyes:
Still going to be a lot more than the £3 worth of carb cleaner I hoped would fix it. ;)

#4 ·
I have a 2.4 JTD 10v with the old type vacume EGR and blanked mine off a month ago, it works well as there are no sensors to worry about. I think that on later models of the engine you need to get the ECU remapped to dissable the EGR unless you don't mind warning lights. I think I'll have to put a thicker blanking plate on my EGR though after reading the preceeding post, don't want any metal bits floating around in there and possibly finding their way into the turbo. That can't be good...

#5 ·
The solenoid pin should protrude about about 7/8mm at should move smoothly under finger pressure flush with the face and smoothly return back out.

The tension on the valve springs should be enough to push the solenoid pin all the way in and stay there, the EGR at rest should see the valve closed.

There's a post describing how to drill a hole in the plastic end of the solenoid and then drive the solenoid out to clean and grease it here

All the best

Pub

#6 ·
Massive thanks pubsinger, exactly the problem, my solenoid pin was protruding only about 3 - 4mm but was very stiff to push back, stripped the solenoid re-greased and all works great. Saved me a good £100+ for a new one.
I'd read several of the instructions to clean the valve, but never thought the solenoid would come apart.

It must have been going slightly for some time, forgot just how quick the car was.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Carl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.