Alfa Romeo Forum banner

suspected gear linkage cable failiure 156 2l t spark

3K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  metalimage1 
#1 ·
Right im slightly miffed at the mo as this has hit me quite hard and very quickly.

Got my car back to work yesterday and couldnt shift over to 1st or 2nd. put it into nutral and something went... im not technical minded so bare with me.

I can start the car and pull away in what i asume is 3rd.. by the feel of the car and the way it drives i only have 3rd and 4th no reverse no 1st second and 5th.

the garage i limped it to said its a possible gear linkage failiure but cant be sure untill they take it apart as with the old r reg you have to take half the exaust off and the heat sheild off under the car to even get at the gear area.

so tried limping it home and had to finally get towed by the AA coz i couldnt get up a hill. the bloke in the van who towed me.. has also said "suspected gear linkage failure"

can anyone acctually confim this for me who is slightly more technical minded than I or will it need pulling apart first just to confirm the problem... as laybour will be hour and half taking it apart and then a further hour and half putting it back together... thats 120 quid just in laybour.

iv been quoted if this is the case nearly 300 quid as the gear linkage cable aparently is 137 quid... anyone have a favorite site they know of for cheaper parts coz i think 137 is alittle steep for cables.

See less See more
#2 ·
Pm 0of0 as he changed his himself. Easy to do and cheap.

G
#6 ·
Mine went suddenly like yours - gear lever felt like a wooden spoon inna large pan :eek: - I managed to get home in 3rd gear
Easy diy as it's only nuts & bolts really, but a third arm would be handy when re-assembling :lol:

#9 ·
thats the site i was talking to you about.. their server is just way too busy.. for some reason it comes up with error "too many concurrent connection try again later"
im leaving details on breakers sites also gotta phone a fiat garage tomorow if their open.. damn these bank holidays... cheers for the help though dude most apreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.