Alfa Romeo Forum banner

He says...

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Joss 
#1 ·
further to this http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/206668-my-thread-got-hijacked-so.html the saga continues.

I have got completely fed up with having a car that seems to have most of its power one second then I back off the accelerator and then when I come to put the power on it has no power at all and gives black (not blue) smoke. So fed up I have taken it to Hickleys in bridgwater for them to have a look. What do you think...

They say all seems to be working except either the turbo or the cat. The turbo boost pressure is way below what it should be. He noticed that it had a remanufactured turbo and that they don't do that kind of thing to these turbos (ey, this sound right?!) and can't think of what else it could be without starting to replace parts.

Well sorry but these parts are a slightly different price to new wiper blades I can't just go throwing money away just for the sake of it I need a PROFESSIONAL!! HELP!!

I don't want my Alfa owning days to be only a troublesome brief part of my life that I will look back on in horror.

#3 ·
they are here: Hickleys :: Diesel Services have helped me out with a diesel car in the past. I know they cost a bit more but hoped they might have more of a clue and actually be able to help me. Can't believe I'm saying this but I have considered taking it to an alfa dealer near here Longstones in Bridgwater, Somerset. Authorised Alfa Romeo dealership I have also considered selling and being shot of this hastle, I really can't be bothered any more and really really don't fancy the price of sorting it out by 'just replacing parts'!

#8 ·
O I was in a foul mood yesterday wasn't I.

Tried to collect my car today but it wont run with enough power to get it home, or even out the parking space they put it in. In fact most of the fuel was ending up out the exhaust.

So itinery is as follows:
Get car home
Take CAT off
Run and see what happens then off to Bensport Alfa nr. Illminster

Can't think of anything else now.

#9 ·
Ran without exhaust and cat got same kinda results except all the unburnt fuel was coming out of the front of the car, readings where like this http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l435/manic-jazz/untitled.jpg

Tried dissconnecting/reconnecting things finally pulled off the vacuum pipe from actuator on front of turbo and it moved (out) more than we had ever seen it move, turbo seemed to be spinning more, although still not enough. top real presssure at 4000rpm was 1.15 bar not very impressive. So off to bensport this morning.

Turbo outside casting says M84, would this tell me which turbo it is or do i need more info?

#10 · (Edited)
If it was 1.15 bar above atmosphere then that is quite a decent pressure.

Sounds like an overfuelling issue.
You checked the turbo / intercooler hoses?
Have you / they checked the boost pressure sensor? The ecu fuels the engine accordingly with the info received from this and the engine speed sensors (check that one too).

#11 ·
After taking to they amazing guys at bensport, alfa independant dudes, I have my car sorted, I think.
Kudos to you guys on here who suggested the EGR again as we had cleaned it out but it seems not well enough it had become jammed open and of course exhaust gas was coming through too much and the turbo was never able to spin up properly.
I have replaced the intake pipes with silicon jobies as well and my alfa is pulling stronger than ever yay :cool:
I have noticed that when idleing or manouvering on low revs that it occasionally misses one pot and the subsequent smoke that comes out the back is unburnt fuel. Also noticed developing that under load the car does seem to give out just a bit too much smoke so I imagine my problems are not completely over. Power seems to be a bit down from when I first got it back, I may just be getting used to it. It seems that there may be more muck in the pipe leading to the EGR valve that would need to be got rid of.

#12 ·
Get the pipe cleaned out as you may find yourself back with a blocked EGR again.

#14 ·
Don't know as not taken it off myself. I remember chating to ya first time round about your problem. Glad its pretty much sorted!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.