Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Both Headlight Bulbs Blow

6K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  sargent 
#1 ·
Had to drive home this evening with my fogs on (chav). It would appear that both my headlight bulbs blew on the way to the office this morning. Could this have been a power surge?

I had no dash warning to say that they had blown.

#2 ·
I am not sure about a power surge, but you're not the first person to mention this on here....

G
#6 ·
Ah that's not so normal.

Although still possible.

Were you extra careful making sure they were 100% clean and dry
when putting them in? If not, that can cause them to fail.

Clean and dry the new ones with lens alcohol before fitting.
Don't get any dust or finger prints on them.

Watch out for that bloody retainer springing out and getting lost! ;)

#8 ·
I swapped my original bulbs for the Philips Extra bright ones (can't remember the exact model) and both mine blew at the same time one very dark winters night after about 3 months - I've now refitted the originals and simply adjusted the headlights up and they're not too bad now.

G
#9 ·
I get about a year (25,000 - 30,000 miles) out of a pair of Philips Extreme bulbs, which is no worse than I got out of standard ones on previous cars. I have a pretty nocturnal lifestyle as well, so they get plenty of use during that 12 months.
Interestingly the 2nd one blew within 10 days of the first, which I put down to consistent quality control. The only way these are brighter than standard bulbs is because they over-run the filament and have a higher gas pressure in the envelope to prevent excessive vaporisation - so long life is not really a design requirement.
You do have to make sure you don't get fingermarks on the "glass" as has already been noted.
Its a bulb - its consumable.

#10 ·
Freaky - both my HID dipped beams blew yesterday too :eek:

New bulbs :rolleyes:

#14 ·
The HID 6000 kelvin bulbs are £63 for the pair - being delivered today (I hope!) :thumbs:

#15 ·
Tut :tut: You should know me better than that Nev :lol: Just odd how they blew at the SAME time :(:rolleyes:

I do drive with dipped beams on all the time so 2 years constant use aint bad really ;)

#16 ·
Bulbs blown

Both mine blew a couple of days ago - very strange!

Replaced them today and managed to lose one of the bulb retaining springs/clips :cry:

Rang thw dealer and they don't sell the clips separately from the headlamp!

Fortunately I managed to fabricate something out of some old springy wire I had in the garage :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.