Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Looking for ROTREX charger

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Supercharged16v 
#1 ·
My good friend George is looking for a rotrex charger to supercharge his 16v sprint .

Any ideas where he can find one ?

#9 ·
Rotrex

The "kit" is not complete for mounting. You will have to invent all the fitting-brackets, pulley on the crankshaft, tightening pulley device, hoses and so on.

Remember then that the Rotrex is a half turbo, beltdriven. That means that you will not get the big boost from below, but only an ever increasing amount of boost. Not the same as a Roots type or screw type like the old Sprintex or Opcon Autorotor.

You can see the Opcon Autorotor here, which delivers full boost from idle, and is a little less expensive than the Rotrex. But you still have to invent all the fitting parts, and then afterwards make it run (with a computer engine management system).

Peter D
DK

Attachments

#11 ·
Supercharging

No, superchargers with a positive displacement (roots type and screw type) can not work with a carb on the pressure side.

So the 16V throttle bodies on the photos are empty and there is a single big throttle on the inlet side of the supercharger.

If you want to use a carb, it must be on the inlet/suction side of the supercharger.

With a Rotrex you may have a carb on the inlet or the pressure side.

Peter

#12 ·
thats actually the reason why its easier to do an 8v engine supercharged rather than the 16v.

The 16v, not only has a higher compression ratio, it also has individual throttle in each throttle body , which needs to be removed and sealed so you can use the single throttle on the top.

Thats one of the things I know I will come across in my modification

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.