Alfa Romeo Forum banner

156 Head Gasket/Valve Clearance worries

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Speedmaster 
#1 ·
Having taken my 1.8TS head to a local engineer he's told me that there's a good chance he may have to skim a fair bit off it due to some 'holes' he has found. As the head may have been skimmed before my main concern is obviously valve clearance. He asked if it was possible to obtain a thicker head gasket for this model? Does anyone know of one that isn't too expensive or have any other ideas as to what can be done?

#5 ·
My head had "holes" in it so I got it repaired. Any good welding shop that deals with alloys will be able to do it. they basicly fill the holes with weld. It costs about £40 for a head.

Before

After

#7 ·
These guys are old school (they were smoking in the workshop) so I'm inclined to trust their judgement. If others have had 60 thou skimmed off with no problems I don't think I'll need to lose too much sleep as the skim indicator still had quite a bit of life left in it.

#9 ·
If i understand correctly, distance between middle of the surface of the head, and lower cylinder head surface must be 13mm +-0,2 ????
Right???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.