Alfa Romeo Forum banner

156 Selespeed problems with blown fuse

Tags
blown fuse
2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  David C 
#1 ·
hi everyone, i can not start my 156 2.0 ltr selespeed sportswagon x reg. the selespeed pump does not seem to prime and when the engine starts the car is just stuck in nuetral and wont change gear, the selespeed warning light is flashing. i have tried to turn off car and lock doors then start the procedure all over again, this worked for a couple of times but now the car just wont change gear. The one thing i have noticed is the 30 amp fuse on top of the battery was blown so i have changed that and tried to start car again but it just blows the fuse now (3fuses later) and still same problem, any help would be greatly appreciated, i love my alfa and dont fancy getting ripped off by dealer telling me i need new this and that.

#8 ·
if its 10 years (like mine was) it is for sure knackered, these pumps start a million times in 10 years
brushes are gone and the push spring is now hitting the collector giving a short !
a recon pump is about 100 quid, you can also clean the collector and put new brushes in (audi wiper motor brushes fit after some filing, cost 7 quid)

#10 ·
It shouldn't be possible Pat, the door is on the earth side of the pump so if it was shorting then it would run the pump, I would suspect in this case the sele pump has siezed or stoped in that once in a lifetime position where the commutator is earthing the supply before the motor can spin.

So, Bolty, where are you?

#15 ·
a failed actuator will not prevent the pump from running.

If problem is the same as original, it sounds like your s/h pump has failed...

s/h parts may seam like a good idea from a cost point of view, but there is usually a reason why they are no longer attached to the car they came from!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.