Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Goodbye GTV - Government scrappage deal wins

11K views 196 replies 47 participants last post by  CooK1E 
#1 ·
Much like myself my beloved 98 GTV is past its prime. I have succumbed to the government scrappage deal. Likely the final drive will be to a garage in Aberdeen on the 23rd Sept to exchange cars. Anyone local to Aberdeen need the (unused) spare wheel ?

G
#129 ·
nige the 3310 was a great tool, i remember my ex wife hitting me on the eye brow with one of them, i needed 3 stitches :lol: just ordered a nokia 7110, first released in 1999, going to browse the classic car section on flea bay now.

#130 ·
Still have a Sim in the Nokia and switch it on now and again, nostalgia ! Mines unusual too as it was bought in Oman and has both English and Arabic numerals on the keys. ( Pedants I know that Arabic numbers are what we use but you know what I mean ! :p )

Tough old beast, never been hit with it by the wife throwing it at me though, I had moved 2000 miles away by the time things got that bad ! Dropped it enough times and never a problem, doubt if the new Chinese PDA I have now will be as tough, already displaying " flaky " software.

Your eBay plan sounds good, might have a look myself if I get the time. Now if you find a mint GTV6 in rosso for about a tenner please let me know.............:D

#137 ·
Looks like a project for someone there, the tinworm seems to have a bit of a hold but for someone with the skills it's not a lot to pay. Pity it's not the V6. The pic of the engine brought back memories of my old Alfetta, cracking engine.

#135 ·
The Fiat Coupe 20VT and Nissan 200SX S14 are cars that are in the 2k bracket and worth a punt.

I like practical classics as well, athough my Idea of a classic is slightly different to a lot of peoples.

The MGB, Morris Minor, Allegro etc were nothing special when they were new, so I consider them old cars not classics.

A classic has to have something special, and not be a run-of-the mill car. To me at least. :)

#138 ·
:thumbs: I'm with you on this, it's the one of the things that does annoy me about PC mag, lot of print devoted, over and over again, to mundane 70's cars. I worry about the skill and knowledge of some of the staff too, they seem to make a fair few mistakes.

Still a good read though. :thumbs:

G
#140 ·
joey the 300 zx is a good car and not as expensive as a supra rz, damn good car though.
nige the 200 is bloody quick and very tuneable but talkin to simon has got my head turned to a fiat coupe 20v turbo, 220 bhp.

#141 ·
Paul you could do far worse than a 20V Turbo coupe.

I many ways mine was better than my GTV and I do miss it.

G
#143 ·
oooo the fit coupe! i love it and hate it!! i love the front end and the fact that it has 220bhp!! but then i hate the rear lines over the rear wheels and the fact that the exhaust looks like its an add on like a kit car!!! main reason why iv never had one!
300zx is nice but im not sure if i would ever take the plunge into buying one,hence why im looking for another gtv!

PS...just seen you post limey! imagine your at a dinner party and someone says "what car do you drive?" you answer...."a Fiat!!" Have i convinced you to get a 3ltr v6 yet?!!

#146 ·
Overall I would say they are about equal.

The Alfa rides better, and handles a bit better but the Fiat is quite a bit faster, easier to tune (250bhp with just a chip and some colder plugs costing around £60 all in)

The V6 definitely sounds better though, but the 5 pot certainly still sounds pretty good and is smoother than the V6.

I could also get over 35mpg on a run with the Fiat plus it has 4 useable seats and boot.

As for styling, I much prefer the GTV but the Fiat does have some nice touches, that colour strip on the dash looks cool, it has a full set of gauges, oil pressure oil temp etc, and a nice fuel filler.

I also like the Ferrari style rear lights.

Have a drive in one, see what you reckon. It is very nearly an Alfa as they share so many parts and most on here will forgive you for owning one. :)

G
#147 ·
going to have a look at one on friday, yellow and chipped to 250bhp, just been comparing prices, looks like i wont get a good v6 for under 3k but i can get a mint fiat coupe for 2k. not sure about being forgiven for owning a fiat, could be worse i could buy a golf gti:lol:

#148 ·
Well the Fiat is pretty much the same as an Alfa 155 underneath so you will be forgiven. ;)

You can get mint GTV's for under 3k. I only paid 2.5k for mine although it did have a few issues that cost a couple of hundred to put right.

You should get a very good Coupe for 2k.

Where abouts is the one you are thinking of looking at?

#150 ·
I am not that keen on the 155 myself, plus the V6 is only 165bhp or so.

Each to their own though. :)

Have a look over on www.fccuk.org/forum as there are some good buying guides. Generally they are very reliable though.

G
#154 ·
thanks for the link simon:thumbs: i know nige its time to spend money, my ideal world would be a 155 2.0 for the running costs and the fiat 20v turbo for weekends. if my car passes the mot on fri morning it will be up for sale on fri afternoon. its a nice car but i dont have the performance that i want and there is no point spending 1k on tuning because at the end of the day i dont think it will ever see 200bhp with the ts lump.

#155 ·
Hope the MoT goes well.

I agree that there seems little point in spending hundreds of Pounds on tuning a TS which probably wont gain much in performance anyway. The way to go is a V6 for me but I can't justify it. Or can I? Can I ? ???? :p

Hope things work out as you'd like Paul. :thumbs:

#157 ·
That looks rather nice. Mileage a bit on the high side of what I'd want but that wouldn't put me off a great deal. Will be interested to see what it goes for. Tell you what, if it was a little nearer I'd go to kick the tyres just out of curiosity !

Anyway don't you start on me about changing cars, a couple of the guys in the Lincs Lounge are already on my case !

I'm starting to wear down, just a little............:eek:

#159 ·
Over three years now Paul and loved every minute of it. It's pretty well sorted, doesn't have any of the usual glitches.

That's what worries me - buying something else and being plagued with little niggles like airbag lights, heated rear window, dodgy fusebox etc etc, you know what I mean. Did speak to my indy about these things though and he said they rarely see these things which appear to be very common here, that does make sense 'cos a lot of people do come on here just to air their problems.

It's in my mind for a change although having just spent the thick end of £500 on the FULL cambelt job it seems a shame to let someone else have all the benefit of my beer chits, wouldn't expect more than about £1500 for mine assuming I could sell it at all.

The V6 not tempting you then ? I love the colour and that's what I'd choose if had I a choice.

#161 ·
I am half considering selling mine.

Just toying with the idea at the moment though. I fancy something a bit lighter and more agile.

G
#162 ·
hi joey tbh i havent even a clue wot its worth, list of work and you guys can advise me, simon has seen it.

1, clutch nov 08
2, new rad nov 08
3, belts and variator july 09
4, rear discs and mintex pads sept 09
5, some of the rear poly bushed sept 09
6, FSH
7, 92,983 miles on clock
8, new badges even on alloys
9, stainless steel rear only
10, new thermostat.

i cannot believe that list now i have put it down like that:lol:

#164 ·
To be honest I actually fancy a 2.0 147 or another 2.0 156 for some reason. :rolleyes:

I think if I was going for another Coupe I would go for a mint 16V Turbo. The power delivery is much more agressive than the 20VT and they are easier to work on.

The 16VT I had before was mental fast, but was beginning to look untidy and was needing money spending on it and I couldn't afford to do te jobs at the time. :(

I like the GTV V6 a lot, I cannot put my finger on why I feel ever so slightly dissapointed by it for some reason.

#166 ·
The 16V is 142bhp so a bit slower than a GTV 2.0 the 16V Turbo is 195bhp standard but is very easy to tune.

Standard 0-60 is around 6.8 seconds, top speed 140mph

It is the same engine as the later Lancia Delta Integrale so the tuning bits are easy to get.

My one was 280bhp :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.