Alfa Romeo Forum banner

156 oil sump &steering fluid pipe.

862 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  10,500RPM 
#1 ·
hi. got first alfa 3 weeks ago, went out to drive on thursday it was lying in a pool of steering fluid got towed to the alfa garage ,found out it has a recon engine when they put it in they damaged the steering pipes, can anyone tell me if this is a big job to repair? Also while under the car the mechanic noticed that there has also been a chemical metal repair to the oil sump. I priced a second-hand oil sump at £100, what is the sort of price to fit an oil sump? I am only asking because I have also been told that the front suspension is shot and I am looking at a price of £500 to replace. Any replies would be helpful.
:
Regards David.

G
#2 ·
:eek: I hope you got it cheap - some of the p/s pipes are a pain to get to, I reckon you could get a 2nd hand sump cheaper than that - try looking for a member on here called Autolusso (Neds His name) or RGWM (also on here)
Did they break down what is shot suspension-wise?

#3 ·
The mechanic still to come back with a price for the p/s part of the job (joy).He let me have a look at the suspension , I'm not a mechanic but it look's knackered to me he said I can still drive if I can suffer the creaking ,but it would not pass it's next mot I've got money just now for the repair's just trying to drive the bill down a bit ,how long is suspension good for after repair.

G
#4 ·
I assume He's talking about the upper & lower arms then - is worth you spending the cash on original parts if you plan to keep the car for a good while - some of the copy parts don't have a long life TBH :(
Can you 'turn a spanner' ? - I have changed a p/s pipe myself along with a good few jobs on the car now, but it's something I enjoy doing :)

#5 ·
My brother is quite handy he's done quite a lot of work on his passat ,the mechanic has shown me the busted pipe he is trying source second hand new one is £50 +vat ,it looks as if a lot of parts need to be removed to get to it .Do you know the price for a set of sparkplugs I've had a quote of £60 but the mechanic says £90.

#8 ·
its called buying the parts & charging to fit them ....surely its worth £30 to ahve them correctly fitted, one snapped plug & it could be a new head required. :(

#11 ·
breakers charge approx €100 for sumps in ireland.

replacing is not too hard but the gearbox end can be tricky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.