Alfa Romeo Forum banner

KWP71 how to use to Connect to Airbag/ABS ECUs

46K views 150 replies 26 participants last post by  stevehayling 
#1 · (Edited)
156: KWP71 how to use to Connect to Airbag/ABS ECUs

HARDWARE:

To gain access to the diagnostic port 1st remove this panel:

This is what the connector looks like:

To jumper pin 7 [ engine ecu ] to pin 3 [ airbag ] you need to remove this connector:

Using a paper-clip or 'earth' wire bridge out from 7 to 3 for Airbag:

Re-insert the connector & plug in a Standard KKL interface:)

SOFTWARE DOWNLOADING:

To Obtain the KWP71 s/w you need to join the Unidiag forum:

UniDiag : UniDiag

Running the KWP71application

This is what the KWP71 Icon looks like, double Click on it:

This is the 1st screen that appears:

From a drop-down menu select the required port [ default is ALWAYS Com1 ]:

Set the ECU address to 0x00:

Select the KWP81 tick box:

Open Comm Port:

Start Comms:

Idenification, shows 'wierd charcters' which is correct :eek:

If no errors are present you get a screen like this:

If erros are present it will give a read out with the codes in HEX.

Be sure to press STOP COMMS:

Be sure to Press CLOSE PORT:

See less See more
#93 ·
OK, the 147 has the newer ABS system ecu 5.7

therefore you need UNIDIAG to communicate with ti

use the Test2_BoschABS57ASRTC.def file

#95 ·
I know I need UniDiag but it just will not connect to the car.

Its on JTD 16v.

Asked on UniDiag forum and its useless.

I was under the impression that even if you repaired a fault the light on the dash would stay on and you had to turn it off. Had EGR valve blanked off for 4 months but read a few negatives about it effecting turbo so now replaced EGR valve and after 2 days the light went off by itself, so clearly I was wrong there. Does the ABS/Airbag ECU work the same?-ie if I repair the prob will the light go out by itself? I ve replaced the clock spring which was what caused the prob, but lights still on. Mind you I need to find out exactly what errors the ABS, airbag and VDC are showing but cant findout cos as I ve said Unidiag just will not work.

#96 ·
ABS will reset itself once the faulty part is replaced ...

which Unidiag do you have v331 or v403?

airbag should talk using KWP71

ecu address = 0x20

protocol = kwp81

#98 ·
do you want to send the cable back to me & I'lll test it on my cars?

#100 ·
if the airbag module, under the central console is defective or not earthed then you will not be able to communicate to the airbag system.

#101 ·
Thanks alot Sears for info on this, I was able to clear my two error codes on the airbag ECU yesterday (lov voltage or something).

I wasn't able to get the connector on car out and was missing a soldering iron.

Here's what I did:
On car pin 7 and 3 i put a steel wire between them and squeesed the diagnostic cable over this steel wire with 100% success :D

Only thing that happend was that the plastic thing around the diagnostic connector cracked a little! =)

Hope this helps folks in similar situations as mine.

Thanks once again!

#102 ·
you are most welcome.

you can do the same 'jumpering' by removing the connector & inserting it at the REAR of the cars 16 pin connector:thumbs:

#104 ·
top row, most left of the 9 above the main fuse box....either 10 or 15 amp

#105 ·
the crash sensor (under he centre console) is very vulnerable, I have had at least 5 cases that the thing
was knackered, you could reset the light but it came back on immediately. Only a new sensor did the trick.
And it has been said a zillion times, the connector under the passenger seat is very weak, also a cause of problems.

#108 ·
beside the steering wheel

#110 ·
check the airbag module is actually earthed to the car, if not there will be no communication.

also check that the plug is properly plugged in.

#112 ·
can you try connect to another alfa's air bag system, at least you know it'll work or not

did you get the replacement cable yet?

#116 · (Edited)
Hi to all,
Yesterday i've got a KKL interface 409.1. My car is an Alfa 156 2005 facelift (AR32104). I've also made the switch mod for pins 7 & 3. With the switch enabled on pin 7, i've run Unidiag2000_0403 and using the AlfaLancia_16105_20VT_ME731_.def (is this the proper profile for my car???) i've connected successfully to main ECU. After that i've switched to pin 3 and tried the KWP71 in order to clear my airbag faults. Although i've managed to connect with airbag(ecu address = 0x00,protocol = kwp81??) , when i press clear faults i always get ERROR (but i think that for the first time there were 3 errors and now only one- Does clear command works?).
The fault is still active is the following:

Read diagnostic fault codes :
Bytes received: 21 67 05 9A ED
DTC: 0x21 = 33
state : 3
type : 0x07 Too high value
condition1 : 0x05
condition2 : 0x9A
counter : 0xED
Could someone help me to identify where is the problematic wire/plug?
Thanks in advance.
Nikolas

#120 · (Edited)
Hi, typos1
Did you manage to connect to Airbag ecu? The steps i've followed are the following:
Switched from pin 7 to pin 3.
Opened kwp71, com port 2 , protocol kwp81, ecu 0X00, open port, start comm, read faults, the log window updated with the following info and then i've tried to clear the error with no success. (probably it is still there because there is a permanent fault?).
In my case the 0x21 refers to Ignition circuit, window bag, driver side according to this thread: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/148553-my97-airbag-error-lisiting.html
BUT value 33 as Bannowhog referred as "Drivers Side 1st Stage Head Curtain Airbag Front" is not described in this forum (am i wrong?) and i don't know where this plug is in order to cut it and solder.
Read diagnostic faultcodes :
Bytes received: 21 67 05 9A ED
DTC: 0x21 = 33
state : 3
type : 0x07 Too high value
condition1 : 0x05
condition2 : 0x9A
counter : 0xED

************ By the way I need a clarification regarding cable modification. I've made a switch to select either pin 7 or pin 3 and not to bridge pin 7 with pin 3. Pin 7 is isolated when i connect to pin 3 so do i have to jumper or not?

#121 ·
No it wont connect, like banging my head against a brick wall. SEARS sent me another lead in case it was that, dont have a laptop and havent been able to borrow one since got new cable to test if it was that.

Think you need to jumper it not switch it-it says at begining of thread-on the other hand you appear to be connecting, so it could be ok how you have it.

#122 ·
I've made a jumper on pins 3 & 7 but with no luck on clearing airbag error. I've tried also KWP200test, and Unidiag but they don't connect when i change the ecu id to 0x00. I've also tried the demo version of Alfadiag, program seems to communicate properly with my intrerface, but i don't really know if i pay for the full version i will manage to clear the airbag error. I attach a print screen from alfadiag program with my ECU details.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.