Alfa Romeo Forum banner

156 1.8 to 2.5 v6 conversion

Tags
conversion
2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  jameston 
#1 ·
engine went on my 1.8ts yesterday so now i am in need of a new engine.i just wanted to know how much more work and parts are needed to change to a 2.5 v6 as i have been quoted a really nice price on a engine but dont know what else i am going to have to buy as i am new to alfas. has any on here ever done this conversion on before?

#6 ·
I'll admit to not being an expert so if I get any of this wrong I am sure someone will be along to correct me in short order:

Wiring Loom
ECU
Gearbox is different (V6 may have a completely different bolt pattern where it bolts to the engine)
Driveshafts are different
Air con is completely different
PAS routing is probably different
Exhaust is different

With all of the effort involved surely it would be easier to just sell it for scrap and buy a v6?

#7 ·
not worth the hassle, just buy a 2.5.

G
#9 ·
Its bad when your engine goes, and I'm sorry to hear it, but without wishing to sound unkind, don't make it worse by trying to do a V6 conversion on a 1.8. Its just a plain bad idea as others have inferred. You will waste all your money and it won't work, and nobody else will touch it.

Either get a recon/used 1.8 engine, or scrap/break the car and buy a used 2.5 156 if that is what you would like.

Sorry not to be more positive

Alfalincs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.