Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Matt.K - Alfasud

Tags
alfasud mattk
12K views 172 replies 26 participants last post by  kevjtd 
#1 ·
Hi all

Following on from my thread in 'introductions' - here is an update on the progress with the Gold Cloverleaf.

I went to see it this morning to try some new alloys. I bought some 15" 146 Ti rims to try and also bought some aftersales ones to try.

I knew that the offset of the 146 wheels was 49.5 - outside the spec for a Sud (35-45) which means they could get quite close to the rear suspension - but they looked ok and they are off an Alfa!! - but on trying the first one on the n/s rear it was clear that without some spacers it was going to be a no go :( .

The aftersales ones had all the right specs - correct offset of 35, right PCD and spigot size - an lo and behold - perfect fit :cool: :D

I'm not sure what you all think of fitting aftersales wheels but I reckon these look real cool - an updated version of the original multispoke - any comments here would be appreciated.

Other work also carried out so far, lots of replacement parts sourced - 2 new wings fitted after some restructuring welding of the inner wings, top wing rail and strut tops. Engine is ready to be removed to be replaced with a 1.7 donor unit from a 33 (anyone need a fairly good rolling shell???). The donor unit is having its heads examined - once they are pronounced fit, the engine, gearbox, suspension and brakes will all be overhauled and refitted :) .

Touch wood if all goes well it will then be MOT time - then I can have her back to sort the bodywork, trim and interior :D .

I'll keep you posted.

See less See more
#2 ·
Much better to have a wheel that fits rather than one that doesn't ;) - specially when they look as good as those :)

Aftermarket wheels no problem providing reputable make - just check bolts are correct length - alloys normally require longer bolts than steels..

My 2p's worth

Richard

#3 ·
Thanks for the vote of confidence Richard. :)

The bolts supplied were actually too long for the fronts hubs so we had to cut about 4mm off!!

The wheels are TSW Pace 15x6.5J with 195x50x15 Yokohama tyres (not my choice - but we'll have to see how they go!!)

Cheers for now

#4 ·
The wheels look cool Matt and I wouldn't have thought you'd have any bother with Yokahama tyres.

He's a picture of a nice 'updated' Sud I took at NAD for your inspiration. :cool:

#7 ·
Buck Bundy said:
Yeah, I'm not one for aftermarket wheels but they look ok. The 146 Ti wheels would have looked like 146 Ti wheels, whereas those look almost period, not excessively modern at least, far better than the ones on the green Sud.

What was on it before? The Campanatura multispokes?

Buck

the wheels on the green sud dont suit that car imho

#10 ·
Buck Bundy said:
What was on it before? The Campanatura multispokes?
Yes - they were ok but wanted something to fill the arches a bit better.

I've got them at home now and will give them a full refurb and keep them just in case!!

I thought the Green Sud at NAD was stunning - absolutely immaculate - the wheels didn't strike me as being too bad - but I prefer mine ;) :p

cheers for now

#13 ·
Cheers Matt,

They are std offset, but 7x15 in size wrapped in 195/45 Eagle F1's. Although I think I'd go for 195/50 next time. Theres no probs with them, they don't rub anywhere (although my suspension setup is so stiff now that even if they were a little big they won't rub anywhere!!) and steering isn't too heavy when parking.

Jaty.

#122 ·
Hi Jaty,

Just come across your post about wheel sizes. When you say that they are standard offset, is that ET 35 or on the range 35 to 45.

I am interested as I have just put some 7J x 15 rims on Ebay as I was convinced they would not fit without wheel-arch mods. However I only tried the rim without a tyre.

They are ET35. The car is lowered about 35 mm (Justsud Springs).

Have you had any problems since as I see the post is quite old? Might have to pull the sale of my rims.

Thanks,

Rob

#14 ·
Buck , and others, I know its not very clear, but what do you think of the alloys on my Sud ( see avatar).

#16 ·
Hi all

thought i would resurrect this thread rather than start a new one.

It's been almost a year since i had a welder for my birthday :cool: - i did the rear n/s wheel arch and rear panel late last year :eek: - but finally got round to doing the other rear arch today:rolleyes: .

I realise now that apart from golf there is something else i do really badly - WELDING!!:cry:

OMG what a mess - but hey - the grotty metal is out and there is new metal in - just thank god for grinders and bodyfiller!!!:p

will post some pics as soon as i loaded some up

cheers all

#17 ·
I thought it was strange that I did not recognise any of the posters names, then I saw the date. Well going back to the wheels they look good and as for the car..well done for staying with it, to many cars don't get finished, good luck with the body work... lets see them pictures:thumbs:

#23 ·
Thanks for that, this has been an ongoing project for the last 3-4 years, the car was actually in really good order when i bought it (nearly 20 years ago) - so i had a good base to start from - even though it was off the road for nearly 10 years it didn't deteriorate that badly.

The worst bits were the front inner wings and wing rails which were redone 'professionally', the underneath is excellent - it was stored for years stood on axle stands on the jacking points - which are still the originals!!

The next bits to do are the front and rear screen surrounds - but i need to get the glass out before i can attack those bits - my problem here being that i do not have any cover for the car so the the timing's got to be right!

I do keep saying to myself 'i'll finish it this year!' - but time just seems to go so quickly!!!

#24 ·
Thanks for that.:)

Are there many 4 door suds left out there??

I've always liked the colour and already have the paint for the respray. I've always found that it doesn't show the dirt quite as much as some colours - not that i'll let it get dirty once its finished!!:p

This is before i took it to bits, started the bodywork (apart from the replacement front wings) and 'lowered' the suspension!!

cheers

#25 ·
no i dont think there are many 4 door ones ,as usually they seem to get broke for spares instead of been restored. i have a silver 4 door silver leaf ,not on the road though, just found out the number plate is worth a few quid,worth more than the car ,art***y

#26 ·
yeh - it's a shame really because the four doors are far more practical:D :thumbs:

It's not very scientific, but i just looked through the gallery photos on the Alfasud register and there are only about 7 four door models listed - and all but 2 i think are s1/2.

There was another Gold Cloverleaf - the same colour as mine:cool:

Mine is only a 2 door here tho':lol:

#27 ·
did a little more this afternoon.

Tidied up some more welding then started with the filler. I'm suprised really how little filler was needed to get the arch form quite close:cool: . I'm waiting to finish it off when my sister returns my big sander that she borrowed to sand a wooden floor with:mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.