Alfa Romeo Forum banner

147 gear "knob"/shifter

7K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  MacCross 
G
#1 ·
I have just purchased a MOMO Alliminium gear shifter that I would like to fit to my 147 16TS. The salesman assured me that all I needed to do was to unscew the current shifter knob to install the MOMO unit. This is however easier said than done as I do not want to use to much force. Any tips for removing the gear knob?

G
#2 ·
We bought an ali gear knob for our Spider from an Alfa dealer which we think is actually a Zender item.The existing gear knob was moulded so had to be cut off! Beware if yours is a short gear knob as you can end up with an unsightly gap between the gear knob and gaiter.If you look at the accessories brochure in your Alfa dealer you may find one with a longer shaft which gets over this problem.Alternatively you can get a different gaiter aswell.Oh the benefit of hindsight!

G
#3 ·
have recently replaced the shift knob on ny 155, and cut about 4inches off the damn thing, mind you looks good now, but the main problem is fixing it on, cos its a bit crappy. have ended up having to araldite mine on, a classy engineering fix i think you'll agree, but seeing as im not likely to change it, it doesnt matter. good luck, or if youve already done it, lets see it.

#9 ·
try pulling it,if no joy then its moulded and will need to be cut off:thumbs:

#10 · (Edited)
Attention: The following refers to the 1.6TS
.............................................................................................

Just pulled off my first ever knob a couple of hours ago!!!!
In fact it was in my new (used) 147!

So NUGGET this is for you!!!! :)

I'm a complete newbie, so, I thought that the knob had some kind of inner screw, that had to be unscrewed - thus, needed a couple of complete twists!!!

Well, it DOES NOT!

You just have to pull it straight up! Nothing to it!
Probably, as mine, it seems completely glued.
So before anything else, try to turn it between 11 and 1 o'clock! It won't twist any further!!! Do not try it!!!
But it will be pretty stuck. Use some muscle!

After any first twist, it means it's unglued! Congrats!
Just bring it up to it's original position and pull it straight up!
When it's finally off, you'll understand how everything worked after all... like I did :)
I wish I had a couple of pictures - everything becomes clear when you see it out of there!

PS- Rumours of chain saws involved in this procedure seem exaggerated... but who am I to say!? :)

#11 ·
Hahahaha, thanks heaps for that! detailed enough without pics!

I've always been worried about damaging something internal after yanking it. ....the gear stick that is.

I'll sort out some pictures for my efforts when I buy a new gear knob to put on it, I'm assuming they're a sort of universal fit thread if they're not a screw in?

#12 ·
there are two types of knob, lift up reverse and static, and i think its only the diesels that are lift up reverse. so be careful what you get, as a lift up reverse wont fit on a standard shaft and vice versa:thumbs:

#14 ·
the only thing i found with lift reverse knobs, was the very limited style choices:rant:

#16 ·
read about 3 posts up:thumbs:

#19 ·
not a problem, had the same issues when changing them on my stilo and punto. i had to hacksaw them both off in the end, stuck in a big way:cry:

#20 ·
GUYSSSSS!

Still looking for an unexpensive original 147 (1.6TS) gear knob!
Anyone has one they don't use, in good condition?

Come on guys!!!!!!!!!!! People are throwing them away!! I refuse paying 140€ for a new one :-(

Anyone? Please... PM me if you like!

Cheers

#27 ·
My own silvery part :)

Well... as soon as I have a new knob you can have the old one's silvery part :)
This is getting tricky eheheheh Like a chess game - everyone depending on someone!

By the way, the metal part in mine comes off all the time - how do I post pics here?

It's not in perfect conditions as the leacker and painting on the numbers is coming off.

But it's best then nothing, and I guess if you really want you can restore it to your liking with so much as a ink pen an some varnish. Or you can sand paper it to become completely blank, or even get it engraved.

I'm saying all this because if I can't get a new knob I guess I'm having this one restore in new leather and doing something with the metal part miself.

Sorry if I can't be of more help to you :rolleyes:

cheers,

#26 ·
i changed mine on my 147 for a shorter ball shaped one, the old knob came off just with pulling, however it is glued, i managed to get mine off by shoving a narrow steel ruler up between the nob and the stick.. came off easyish... n my new one looked daft on such a long stick so i just lopped a load off! :) hope this helps...oh and also to the person who asked for original knob i do have one but ive peeled the leather off, so needs recovering....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.