Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Kwik Fit - Aircon compressor issues

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  symon 
#1 ·
Just had my 156 re-gassed at Kwik Fit and I’ve now got problems with the compressor. It engages fine and the air gets coolish, but then after a couple of minutes it disengages and re-engages about three times quickly in succession.

It’s really noticeable, noisy (clunking) and affects the engines power. I’m worried about busting the drive belt – should I be?

Everything was working fine before, albeit the air wasn’t exactly freezing. I went back to Kwik Fit immediately but they really weren’t interested. Have they broken my car????

G
#10 ·
Are they still doing the fix it or no fee offer? - I reckon you are due a refund :)
Would take it some-where else after that TBH
Have heard this a few times about KF & I reckon I should stop defending them, as my experience appears to be unique :lol:

#12 ·
Quack Fit "installed" an exhaust on my "other car" in 2007. The exhaust IMMEDIATELY rattled on start-up. I drove a few miles, turned back, and asked them to fix the rattling. They "fixed" it, but exhaust rattles to this day. In fact, a garage recently inspected my car, and the exhaust is falling apart! :rolleyes:. I will be making a trip to Quack Sh#t very shortly :mad:. It is still covered by warranty :lol:

I have also witnessed Quack Fitters catching a person's boot on fire .. I don't know how they explained that one to the owner! Many moons ago they claimed my car needed £350 worth of repairs, but a second opinion confirmed they were taking the p#ss :mad:

Avoid Kwack fit!

#13 ·
I've always found my local kwik fit pretty good never overcharge and always give me discount( recently got a new battery for my 147 fo 60 quid fitted and they always move me to the front of the queue), it might be because I always take my works vehicle in there and let them go to town on that lol.

#15 ·
I asked over on FCCUK, whether any other coupe owners had had their aircon done at kwik shat, and I was advised to stay away.

There is one guy on there who works and an automotive air conditioning engineer, and quite often has to sort out Kwik fits bodges.

I am pretty sure Alex (smaky) is correct IMO they have overfilled it, and with the compressor engages the pressure is going too high and the system is then disengaging the compressor.

The system doesn't take much refridgerant, probably only about 500g or so in total, so a muppet could easily overfill it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.