Alfa Romeo Forum banner

147 cambelt change, should i do the water pump too?

8K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  Smaky 
#1 ·
I'm almost due for the 2nd cambelt change, did first one after 4yrs at 75,000kms (I know, I risked but was ignorant at the time...), now I'm at 125,000kms 3 yrs later and am wondering if I should replace the waterpump too even though it shows no signs of wear. Any ideas or facts on how long the pump lasts on the 1.6 TS 120bhp engine??

G
#7 ·
Good decision to get it done. The waterpump on mine went at 58,000 miles, I'd only had the cam belt done about 3000 miles earlier. Result: new cam belt fitted again and I got the variator replaced as well as the water pump. Expensive but worth it for peace of mind in the end!

#8 ·
1st Post:)

Anyway.....just got my Cambelt & waterpump changed last week. Originally just wanted the belt changed but my trusted mechanic found that the water pump was leaky and said it HAD to be changed as it's all connected.

Got it done for €398 (£315) so I can't believe Msmangosi got charged that.....€1026:eek:

#10 ·
got my pump done with the first belt change - which was at 39k and 5 years! which was when i bought her, the variator has just started its death rattle now! its rather loud but only happens maybe once a month for the last 2 months! hope it stays that way until the next belt as i've got 2 years to go!

#12 ·
Complete waste of money in my experience and opinion!

My 145 1.6TS was still on the first water pump at 150,000 miles (241,000km).
My current 147 1.6TS is on 68,000 miles (109,000km) and has not failed.

There.

#14 ·
There are people on this forum with waterpumps at 175.000 km still going strong, but hey ! when you do the belts and tensioners better do the pump as well !

#15 ·
Well I look at it this way - pump was only €50, so may as well get it out of the way as I plan to keep the car until the 149 is out late next year. Variator was €175, and death rattle was getting worse. The expensive part of the repairs was that and the 5.5hrs of labour.

Result - engine is as sweet as it's ever been, sounds and performs better than before. They did a great job including cleaning all the engine and sticking a printed label stating belt done at 125,000km!!

Work was done by an official Alfa garage just outside Milan, have been going to them for past 3 years and they have a full track record of all maintenance done on the car. Not cheap, but quality of work is A1 and they know what has to be done and when.

#17 ·
Hi
I'm just about to do the cam belt on my 147 1.6TS, but looking at the instructions it seems you need special tools (cam locks and a DTI to reset the crank position. Are these tools nevcessary, or can you just mark the positions of everything and replace the belt, variator, pump etc. Comments please!
Regards
Nigel

#19 ·
I changed the distribution but decided not to do the pump, it was dry and rotated very good, no nasty feelings when turning it.
The TS pumps have a very long life... I took the risk...

#26 ·
Believe me, it's worth the expense. Also, when mine was done last time, by replacing all the seals oil consumption now has dropped and I've done 7000kms without adding any oil!!! I tell you, car was transformed, but think this is also due to a new head mechanic which knows ins and outs of TS engines. I've got 131,000kms on the clock but it runs like when it was brand new.

#27 ·
just bought a 147 1.6 tspark and ordered Everything, cambelt kit, variator, water pump, gaskets, pullies, plugs, filters, etc. but, ive never done any work on an alfa before (got the lot because of vague service history) any usefull pointers would be greatly appreciated!!

regards

p.s. I have gone and got the cam lock tooling, variator socket and DTI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.