Alfa Romeo Forum banner

step by step for airbag reset

10K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Smaky 
#1 ·
Hi all, I've got a 156 sportswagon 1.6 02 plate. I thought I would be really adventerous and try and reset the annoying airbag that is constantly on.... I ordered the cable from rarebear (talk about quick delivery!!) and my girlfriend has she plugged it in as per the instructions and configured to com port 3 etc and all seems fine. Stupidly she was chatting to a car/internet fan (debatable as he has a Nissan Skyline!!!) at work who has scared her into thinking she can potentially wipe the whole ECU system and break her laptop by accident if not done correctly. I'm not worried about her laptop but obviously concerned about my beloved Alfa. Can anyone give me an idiots guide to sorting eg take key, insert into car, plug in cable, click on button etc so I can try and persuade her to try and sort tomorrow - she's not a computer or car geek (not sure I am either so am not sounding convincing to her)........ thanks all!:wow:

#2 ·
It isn't possible to wipe the ecu with alfa diag nor with RBs cable, you need specific equipment to program ECU's

#3 ·
Go to Alfadiag.net,
Download and install software and purchase license,
fit cable to USB port (com 3),
plug cable into car 16 pin diagnotic port,
Turn key to MAR (turn off all accessories, fan, rear screen heater, lights etc),
run Alfadiag,
Select "Airbag my'99",
Select "Fault Codes" tab,
Click "read fault codes"
Note codes down,
Click on "Clear Fault Codes",
Ensure Airbag light extinguishes.
Disconnect from ECU,
Turn off ignition,
Unplug car from laptop and pack up.

You can't wipe the ECU and never trust a Datsun driver.

#4 ·
I always after clearing I go for a spin, sit onto the passengers seat or move it about & do another READ session to make sure it stays clear.

#5 ·
I downloaded the software from the alfadiag site as recommended as the demo I got from Rarebear didn't want to work, now it's asking which ecu to connect to and gives me a whole list - any ideas how I found out what type of ecu I have - there's probably a very obvious answer but I'm determined not to be beaten by this :rant:

#7 ·
Demo won;t allow you to do much.

you need to buy the full version.

#9 ·
Airbag is either MY97 or MY99

Engine 2.10.03 or 2.10.04

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.