Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Alfasud V8

Tags
alfasud
42K views 715 replies 38 participants last post by  alfa302 
#1 · (Edited)
#238 ·
Nice to see you back A302. :)

News? Greek had his Sprint washed in a washing machine :lol: and the door he was having problems with, fixed herself. :cheese:

After that, he arranged an appointment for an exorcism. :cheese:

#240 ·
Yes indeed.... This morning when went to pick her for a walk i say a big bird poop on the car and guess what?? I got a misfire on cylinder 3 ...... Typical Italian woman. I got spark plug replaced but i have to remove this bird poop as soon as possible otherwise i will be changing spark plugs for the whole next week...

G
#243 ·
:lol: bird poop can be a problem if left on though, the acid in it stains the paintwork.
one tip i found that works if you have a subborn, baked on one to remove. get a damp cloth and leave it on the poop for a few minutes. can then be easily wiped away without having to resort to polishing or anything ;)

#252 ·
Spoke to a chap today, he has a gearbox for sale from his mustang that he said was all good, however he's had the car for 5 years and he's sure that its never had a rebuild from day one which means the box is untouched since 1965...yes 1965...he only changed it because he put a manuel box in the car. To be honest there's not a lot of messers in this circle, it comes with a lot of spares and as my box is toast if it was f...ed I would have another for a rebuild so I may take the chance. I can't get it until next weekend but it will only take an afternoon to fit so if its ok BIG smiles soon after.

#257 ·
I have spent the last couple of weeks thinking about going manual, I checked the foot well and can get the clutch pedal in there but it means cutting the bulkhead, moving the brake pedal and brake cylinders and respraying the engine bay, also getting a Mustang T5 box is not easy, I contacted some people in the states as they do a conversion from auto to manual its $1800 plus shipping plus duty and vat and no I'm not listing it at $50 value. I do know a man who brings old banger vans over and fills them with engines box's etc so maybe later when I get feb up with the auto I'll have a word with him. come to think of it I will call him later.

#261 ·
I have the touch, so if you want something broke give me a call:cheese:

With regards to using a manual the guy I know who brings things over has told me that he can bring what ever I want and is looking into prices for me. If this comes off I will not fit it until winter.

#263 ·
Hi Eddie - I must admit I prefer manual transmissions too, even on Yanks. My friend Sean won't have anything else - 3 Plymouth Barracudas, and most recently a Trans-Am homologation version of the AMC Javelin.

Do you have to use a T5 'box? I guess as long as the input shaft can be made compatible with the engine, you could use a Borg-Warner T10, or a Muncie 5-speed out of an 80's Camaro (sorry I prefer Chevy stuff to Ford :D).

Then there's the old ZF 5-speed used on the Montreal (I had the same 'box in my Droop Snoot) - in a light car, it should be able to handle the torque.

Another good friend once made a manual Jag XJ6 using a Getrag 'box out of a Rover SD1. That thing could light up the tyres in the first three gears! Shame it got stolen (probably used on a bank job!).

Its a lot of work converting to a manual though - the appeal of slushboxes is their ready availability, but as you have already discovered, they are so finely balanced that they can often end up toast.

I used to shift my Chrysler A-904 manually - the shift lever was on the console and had a handly stop on the ratchet so you could flick between 1, 2, and D without overshooting into P. Very useful for twisty backroads :D

Sounds like big decisions in the 302 houshold. Good luck!

Lauren

#264 ·
Lauren

I have always been a manual fan, went with he auto thinking I could save some time...DOH

I'm looking at the T5 because its the strongest off the shelf and at 350bhp and 330lb torque it will do for me also there are conversion kits that go up in stages and of course there's the T56 6 speed that could also be made to fit..well see how it turns out. Mean while my mate George came round today and explained what he thinks caused my box to give up....uprated torque converter, to small cooler to name the main faults, but the good news is the box I'm looking to get comes with all the bits and as a package will be perfect for my needs, so a call on Monday should see me with a replacement the following Tuesday and on the road by the weekend..but with my record for dates I have just shoot myself again:lol:

#265 ·
T56 6 speed that could also be made to fit...
I'm not very up on modern BW 'boxes - the T56 isn't the transaxle that the Viper and Corvette use is it? Or is that the T63?

I was thinking of the T10, which backed up the HiPo 289s on the old racing Falcons in the 60s, also used by AMC to back up their 390 smallblock which my mate Sean has in his Javelin. The AMC 390 puts out over 400 lb/ft or torque (when they designed the AMX/3 mid-engine sportscar they had to get a special transaxle made up because the ZF couldn't handle the torque from the 390, so the T10 must be pretty strong). Only a 4-speed mind, but with so much torque you don't need lots of gears to stay in the power band :D

Anyway, good luck with the replacement gearbox!

Lauren

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.