Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Auto electrician sheffield

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Smaky 
#1 ·
Hi Any one know a good auto electrician in or near sheffield.

I am having some wierd electrical probs with my gtv.

Cheers

#2 ·
what sort of problems?

#3 ·
Cutting a long story short...

started out looking like a duff starter motor, solenoid clicking but motor not turning. new starter fittered but no change.
Next checked the battery, capacity a bit down so new battery obtained an fitted. no change.
I have found that if I jump it to another car and give the car some revs I can get the starter to turn over.
Cooloing fans decided to start up on their own and now run if the battery is connected.
Code light seems to be very intermitant as to whether it will go off or not.
I have noticed today that while I was jumping it from the other car, the starter would just click, but if I kept the key turned the code light would come on and then the starter would turn.

I have gone round in circles for a week testing ans checking so I am greatful of any ideas.

Cheers

#5 ·
Check the engine earth strap off the gearbox to the chassis, it's either breaking down or the bodies corroding.

The rest can be sorted by removing the relays in front of the battery and cleaning the terminals, refit them securely and that should solve it, if the fans still run when the battery is connected (ignition on or off) then replace the fan relay which is one of the ones if front of the battery, if it only runs when the ignition is on then replace the temp sensor in the thermostat housing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.