Alfa Romeo Forum banner

alfa gt 1.9 jdt or 2.0 jts

Tags
jdt jts
11K views 84 replies 33 participants last post by  paullec 
#1 ·
im looking at gettin a alfa gt but dont know what engine to choose i really want the petrol 2.0 but the diesel is more economical and their cheaper to buy and could some one tell ne the BHP of both engines

#44 ·
well i went from a srt8 6cyclinder bmw330ci to the alfa 2.0jts and i have to say the 330 had a grunty wiked engine but just didnt drive the same as the 156 ,the bmws steering was crap and the ride was rock solid ,but i do like cars with grunt though ,i want an s4 next ,seen one today and well impressed ,if i was to get a diesel it would have to be something like the tourag v10

#45 ·
Oh dear.

The diesel is more powerful than the jts and also has the LSD so holds the road better and so more sporty.

I think the diesel sounds better than the jts too, you can actually hear it.

#53 ·
you see when ever i get in a resonable looking car ,like when i got a lift the other day in a jag ,i thought mmm nice ,and even though i was ****ed (as usual) ,as soon as it started up ,clickity-clack-clickity-clack

such a disapointment ,if i'd been a bird with blond hair and large breasts my mate wouldnt have been getting any, with that sort of impression ,although it did drive sort of ok i surpose lol

if your real fans of alfas and proper petrol heads you'd bin the diesel immediatly ,and get a petrol

#57 ·
I've noticed it's only the rough birds that know anything about cars, the ones worth a go only care about how it looks. :lol:

I've owned 3 alfa's now, 2 JTS's and now the JTDm. Neither of the JTS engines (one re-mapped) could put a smile on my face like the JTDm can.

#54 ·
I've had my GT 1.9 JTDM Blackline for 14 months now.

I was in a similar position - I couldn't decide between petrol or diesel. I have never owned a diesel before and swore I never would.

But I live in a city centre and 90% of my driving is on the motorway. The remaining 10% is in stop-start traffic getting to the motorway!

I figured that I don't actually need a quick 0-60, it's the mid range that's more important. Yes, sometimes I do miss the revs, but the torque is outrageous. I test-drove both the JTS and the JTDM several times and the performance of the diesel totally outweighed the petrol. Plus when you kick it, the diesel engine can sound ferocious! The petrol sounded a little weak.

I should also note that, without recalling the exact figures, the torque on the 1.9 diesel matched (or perhaps even bettered) the 3.2 V6.

Fuel efficiency isn't a particularly big issue for me. Having the diesel simply means that I refuel less often. I drive very fast and I regularly get around 40 mpg. Plus it only sounds like a diesel for a few minutes until it has warmed up.

I am absolutely delighted with my GT. I haven't had the engine mapped but the acceleration in the mid range is bordering on being astonishing. Between 20 and 50 mph I out-accelerate virtually everything else on the road.

So I guess I've made my preference pretty clear!.....;)

#59 ·
I'm suffering this dilemma as well. Driven both engines in a GT. Felt shattered after driving JTS 'enthusiastically', but loved the sound. Found diesel more relaxing, but I've never owned a diesel and feel a traitor. I do about 9k a year, so mpg isn't really an issue, and means I'm probably leaning more towards petrol, although that was yesterday, and the diesel is so torquey .......

ALSO .... on the one hand I'm concerned by the increasing number of reports of waterpump failure in JTD 16v, whilst on the other a friend has experienced the widely reported lamda probs with his JTS. Less catastrophic if a sensor goes, and there don't seem to be any reports of this affecting later '05+ reg engines.

Anyone else suffered/is suffering a similar dilemma???

#63 ·
I do around 6/7k miles a year, I don't use the car for commuting there all pleasure miles :D

Mpg means nothing to me, power and fun does!! The JTS was ok, the diesel gives me way more smiles per miles.

If your worried about waterpump/cambelt failure then just change it as regularly as you would a JTS.

#65 ·
i test drove both at the weekend and i went for the diesel gt blackline the torque is unbelivable and when that turbo kicks in you start to go way hey like that mike brewer chap on wheeler dealers

#67 ·
I've driven diesels all my life. I hate them. They rev out too quickly, bog down in 2nd gear as you roll onto roundabouts (I know, not all of them do, but 90hp engines do and these are the ones I've been stuck with due to company policy.) Dirty, smelly, black smoke, Taxi etc etc.

Late January, picked up my GT Cloverleaf JTDM.:)
Love it. makes me smile EVERYTIME I put my foot down. It does rev out in 1st way too soon, but 2nd is very tractable so it doesn't matter.

There will always be arguments about which is better.

Just drive it and enjoy it

#68 ·
Well confusion reigns for me now as going to look at a 2.0 JTS selespeed Saturday morning, drive 50miles daily so realistically the diesels the one to go for...
Hey talking Alfas here so I ll go with the heart if it presses the buttons its bought ....Be fun at the least...

#69 ·
Hi, Now first things first, as a recent convert from a 145 Cloverleaf to a diesel GT Q2, I was worried about the petrol/diesel thing. The diesel Q2 it much more of a grown up car, 3rd and 4th gear corners taken riding that mountain of torque are a real joy. But I know its not that screaming TS. But then its not my 1.7ie 33 either. Its different. No better no worse. What you get when you own a GT especially one in a dark colour is a lot more attention! Who did you re-map and how was the mpg punished?
Simp

#70 ·
I would go for the 1,9JTD seven days of the week! My father in law had a GT 2,0 JTS before, and I never understood that car. The engine is very flat and boring. Nothing like the old TS 16V from the old 156, 145, 146, 147 and so on. The JTD has not as much horsepower in the book, but the feeling when you drive is another! That tourqe umpf is awesome! And as some of you say, a remap would give you easily 180hp, and with some smaller mods a bit more.

Either you get the JTS or the JTD, fit a Q2 if it´s not allready done! For my self I drive a Q4, but if I had a front wheel one, I would deffo go for a Q2 diff. It does miracles to the understeering!

#72 ·
I am a petrol Alfisti through and through, but I was less then impressed with the JTS engine.

I would say go with the Diesel and get it remapped.

Having said that its a pity they didn't do a 2 litre TS GT

#77 ·
Yes but the JTS is not a great effort and the 3.2 is no longer sold, so the Diesel is the only real option if buying new.

#78 ·
there no way my GT is the same as the vauxhall 150pd unit, the vaux is load quicker, unless i have some major fault lol still love it tho :)

quick paste job

GT JTD UNIT
Engine Size 1910 cc
Cylinders 4
0-60 mph 9.3 s
Power Output 150 bhp
Valves 16
Torque 305 Nm 225 lb-ft
Top Speed 130 mph

vaux 150PD UNIT
Engine Size 1910 cc
Cylinders 4
0-60 mph 8.3 s
Power Output 147 bhp
Valves 16
Torque 320 Nm 236 lb-ft
Top Speed 129 mph

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.