Alfa Romeo Forum banner

2.5 V6 156 Manifold pipes keep popping off - normail?

822 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  CJO 
#1 ·
My girlfriend has just run me stranded in my Alfa - sounds like a repeat of a previous problem.

The rubber pipes at the top of the manifolds keep popping off the head. This causes the engine to stall (I think due to the excess air sending the ECU loopy).

Is this normal - engine has done about 190k (!) and no other problems....well apart from occasional stalling at low speed.

The pipe clips are a bugger to undo and the pipes are then a bugger to re-fit (hopefully will get a decent AA man to get it back on the road!)

I was considering replacing the clips with jubilee clips so can get them tighter - any reason I should not do this?

Is it that the pipes/clips are just old and need replacing?

Is it something more sinister?!

#3 ·
Hmmm...I sort of understand this! Your saying backfiring is casuing the pipes to pop off?! It does backfire but I assumed that was because the pipes have popped off.

Normally engine runs well - how would I check the mixture?

AA bloke has got it started - reckons its just that the pipes and clips are old.

Just been looking up the stalling problem and will attempt to clean my MAF and throttle body with instructions from on here.

Driving to York from London tomorrow to hope it does not let me down!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.