Alfa Romeo Forum banner

147 tyre noise and vibration

Tags
tyre
2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jackojet 
#1 ·
Hi I'm new here and this is my first post, so hope it works!

My 147 2.0 running on 17" rims has got a tyre/road noise and slight vibration through the floor at about 40mph.

Have fitted new tyres as they were ropey, but it's still there.

Any ideas would be great.

#2 ·
Could have a buckled rim. Does happen occasionally but th garage would usually say if it was when they changed the tyres.

#3 ·
ive got the same problem and the noise varies depending on road surface. it feels like the whole car resonates through shocks from the suspension ,also it tramlines badly on anything less than smooth surfaces,pulling on the steering wheel as car bounces around,the suspension feels harsh and hard .my tyres have even tread wear and feel ok when you run your hand over the tread etc,they are cheap ones,and the rear tyres are different make and different pattern
going to get alfa to check car over as under warranty
my wifes newer 147 jtdm has 17" wheels and feels so much better compared to mine.:(
my car was checked out before i got it recently,so let you know what/if they find anything when it goes back in :confused:

#5 ·
ive read that bushes and upper wishbone bushes are prone to failure at around 36k,which is the milage my car has done.my alfa dealer has just phoned and booked me in for 31/1,to check everything out,i want it sorted as sometimes it feels dangerous,you feel so consious of it that you constantly have to monitor the steering,anyway the MOT will be due shortly after,so they should pick any faults up?
also i get a squeaky sound from engine when its cold and some whining ! and a squeaky tailgate over bumps which they already looked at and havent got to the bottom of.
anyway keep us posted on your car and i'll post the outcome with mine.:(

#7 ·
had the 147 checked out by alfa dealer yesterday as i said it was booked in. they had a good poke around and found nothing wrong with suspension, bushes etc they increased tyre pressures and it seems a bit better, i think its down to the 17" wheels and low profile tyres. well at least i feel happy that there is nothing wrong with the car.
the engine noise is down to condensation on the belts and should dissappear when the weather warms up. they checked the belts and tensioner and all ok
the tailgate creek has been cured it was down to the trim not being refitted properly after previous owner removed bose amp out of boot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.