Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Strut brace tension?

2K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  Quick_Shift 
G
#1 ·
Hey gang,

I have just fitted an Autodelta strut brace to my GTV. I was wondering when you tighten it (from the middle) is there any particular tension setting that it needs or is just "no movement tight" tight enough.

Carmelo

G
#4 ·
will you set it under tension or under compression.

i.e is the strut brace pulling both sides together or pushing them apart.

In my case its under compression i.e. pushing them apart and its set as tightly as i could

G
#5 ·
Sorry Major I ment under compression it's pushing them apart errrr... that's the whole point no to keep the top of the tower bars from moving together when you corner? You are the Engeneer correct me if I'm wrong...

Carmelo

#7 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Magior:
<strong>yes correct - i pushed them apart as much as the strut would allow</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Surely you shouldn't be pushing them??

I understood the adjuster on the bar was there to make it easier to fit in case there was any distortion in the turret tops or the brace itself. I would have thought you have to assume that the suspension is currently in the right place and you are merely locking it there. If you have put so much tension into the bar that you are actually moving the suspension mounts, you have altered the suspension settings....
:confused:

G
#8 ·
yes ricks alfas thats the case..........what i meant is that i just locked them in position putting the strut under compression.........not that i literally pushed them apart...........

as a matter of fact i tightened the centre section manually as it did`nt have a hexagonal bolt to ensure someone did not overdo it.

G
#12 ·
Took bella out for a drive today the first since fitting the Autodelta strut brace... Hmmmm normal driving and you are hard pressed to notice anything at all. I drove down to Marsalforn and the car seemed to nose into corners a little better with if I noticed correctly a little less body roll.

It was not that noticable until I pushed the hell out of the car but then yes it makes a huge difference. I do mean you need to push hard. JK around 150 Kph around the Ta' French corner towards Marsalforn. :D :D :D wink

The bonnet was a little harder to open but nothing that requires excessive force. All in all I'd say it's a good cheap upgrade that gives you good results. :cool:

If you are thinking about it don't... JUST DO IT and get the Alu brace not the steel one looks great and light as a feather.

Cheers

Carmelo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.