Alfa Romeo Forum banner

I have the perfect fix for every problem with the Alfa 147

Tags
fix perfect
2K views 42 replies 24 participants last post by  gotcha 
#1 ·
I had an Alfa 147 for 4 years. It gave endless hassles landing up in the workshop on average 8 to 10 times per year. The same problems could never be fixed and generally it was taken it for repeat repairs. Various dealers were used - but still no luck. Most repairs were fortunately under warranty - so whilst not costing much - the 147 was a real pain in the a$$ that resulted in much anxiety.

Anyway - I'm glad to announce that I have finally found the answer. I finally sold the Alfa (after trying for 2 years) to some unlucky sod and have bought a Honda. Problems solved! Plus the new Civic Hatch looks hotter!

Whilst the Alfa invokes some form of italian passion you don't wanna let go of - you soon realise that its a cheap wh0re that is trying to take all your money. Good riddence and good bye.

#4 ·
Sorry to hear about that mate, but a HONDA, for all that is holy!! They are like Rovers.

For the old, nearly dead and dead !!!

#7 ·
the new civic doesnt look bad but it looks way too fat and chubby and i fear the design will age very badly.
the IMAs look much better and will age slower.
at least the mechanics ad stuff are bullet proof in hondas

good luck to you, the roads are harsh down there, that wouldn't have helped your car one bit.

#9 ·
IMO Honda's are worthy but a bit dull.

Depends what you want though really, if you want worry free, cheap motoring ( and many do) you could do a lot worse.

You will never feel as passionate about it though. :(

#12 ·
Hired a new shape Honda Civic in Spain recently & it was the biggest bag of s**t I've driven for some time. Cheap & nasty interior with a massive piece of cheap plastic covering the stupid instrument layout just asking to be scratched. Boneshaking suspension especially the beam axle rear end. Poor ride, poor visibility & about as stylish as a pig in a dinner jacket

Oh yes, if you think I'm biased I'm not we have a little Honda in the family which is a super little car (not a Civic)

G
#28 ·
cheap plastic interior... just asking to be scratched....poor visibility
Sounds just like my Alfa! One of my cars is a new Civic, and for what it was bought for - an easy to live with, everyday hatch for the Mrs it is perfect.

BTW, they do have their own problems as well - bumpstops falling out, shock absorbers failing and handbrakes releasing them selves to name three. Difference is with the dealers. Honder dealers just sort out warranty and recall work efficiently, at your convenience and without making you feel they are doing YOU a favour.

G
#18 ·
my 147 is a peach! admittedly had a bit of a bezz this month cost me £180 but it is a dream to drive. The Civic is a good car but the Japanese cars are not famous for personality or driver involvement. When an Alfa works nothing compares!! Peugeots come close because of the bespoke suspension but for an every day driver I would never choose any other marque!

#22 ·
i am currently having work done on my alfa to get it through its mot as i am without my alfa a mate kindly offered me his car while mine is being worked on, so for the past 3 days i have been driving a g reg honda prelude, while it goes round corners well and has no squeaks clunks or rattles (exterior or interior) it isnt much fun to drive, it is a very well put together car that despite its age still drives like new but there no comparison to getting into my alfa

good luck with the civic tho

#33 ·
driving a g reg honda prelude, while it goes round corners well and has no squeaks clunks or rattles (exterior or interior) it isnt much fun to drive, it is a very well put together car that despite its age still drives like new but there no comparison to getting into my alfa
i drove one of those, just the once but i loved driving it! thought it was an awesome drive! had 4 wheel steering and really did stick to the road round corners. was gonna buy it from my mate but the insurance quote of £4,000 a year kinda put me off. 4 grand? for a G reg car? this was yonks ago mind
umm, no

#29 ·
Lol, what a thread and a half! My fav past car was def my dad's old Cavalier MK 2 SRI which was a lovely one owner car when my dad bought it 6 months old back in late 1984. He gave it to me when I passed my driving test in June 1994 and I loved it. I was forced into selling it because my dad started getting company cars, and hence we didn't need the poor Cavalier. It was brill, fast, nice crispy exhaust note, great engine, dirt cheap to service, handled very well, and had a great hard wearing interior with lovely recaro seats. It was the best car that I owned, and wish I could buy another MK2 SRI Cavalier. BUT, I still love my Alfa, an Alfa is like having a dirty horny affair with an Italian mistress/toy-boy (what ever takes your fancey!)

#31 ·
Test drove a new Civic diesel. Big disappointment. Was a serious contender to replace my 'wagon when the time comes as the 159 is a bit too big for my needs. It was not good to drive at all...

#37 ·
That's the trouble with Alfa's. They all have they're own personality, and some are just born bad. That's part of the love hate relationship most owners experience.
Hope the Honda serves well. The Honda Jazz is widely recognized as one of the most reliable cars on the road. The new Civic however doesn't rate so well. Check out Which report. Hope yours has had all the wrinkles ironed out... Would not be amusing to go through all that strife again. all the best

#38 ·
That's the trouble with Alfa's. They all have they're own personality......
Sorry, but... The trouble is they built by italians. They sould stick at the design and the concept, and sould leave the rest (engineering, quality, materials(metals, rubbers, bushes, wires ) and the manufacturing) to the right guys: the japans.

Sorry, if i was rude, but more blind alfa fanatic is here, than i take...

Happy new year everybody! ;)

ZsNemeth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.