Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Spider tyres

Tags
tyres
995 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  ally 
G
#1 ·
Down to a couple of mm on the fronts after 12k - pretty even wear, thankfully.

What to replace with, that is the question.

Western have quoted me £371.93 for a pair of 225/45R18 95W Bridgestones, same as current ones, but is there anything better out there.

I have spoken to a tyre 'expert' who has listed several dozen features for me to think about. AAAAAGGGHHHH. Too complicated by half.

So I thought I'd canvas opinion on here.

Any thoughts on directional tyres? Asymetrics? Giving up and buying a season ticket for the train?

:cry:

#2 ·
Just been through the same - there's a few threads on here about it but in summary (assuming you're on 235/45's not 225/45's you've quoted)

1) with some negotiation you can get the Bridgestones for £300 a pair fitted

2) I've just picked up Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas in right size/load rating for c.£120 delivered then £12 each to fit (Cheap Tyres Discount Tyres & Japanese Import Car Parts Spares Tuning Performance ::)

3) There are cheaper alternatives if you're not picky about size or load rating

#3 ·
Stick with good tyres. If your tyres are wearing evenly (which you said) , then I suggest assymetric tyres are a good option. Because assymetrics can't be turned on the rim they can't turned and rotated to provide maximum tyre life. The Sessantas appear to be very good.

Remember to have the rear moved to the front and put the new ones on the rear. This helps prevent the rear tyres becoming worn, age hardened and less grippy, which has the consequent risk of reversing off the road at high speed whilst cornering.

Directional tyres are generally better at water drainage, but assymetric tyres are tuned to allow the inner shoulder, tread centre and outer shoulder to better fulfill their different duties. Assymetric design is a more recent development than directional and generally more suited to newish cars, IMHO.

G
#4 ·
Dealer told me 225s. I'm just going in to pick it up so I'll double check before ordering anything.

For the first time in my life I'm probably more interested in the effects of the various options on handling than I am concerned with saving money. Within reason.

I know from experience that a more expensive tyre doesn't necessarily give a better driving experience.

Surely there must be a better way to figure out what to buy than just buy it and see if it suits?

#5 ·
#9 ·
Basic rule of thumb with tyres ... buy either the same as the ones the manufacturer originally put on the car or buy from a 'main brand' as in Pirelli, Bridgestone, Michelin

They're one of the most important parts of the car!

Me I'll stick with the Pirellis when it comes to replacing them on my LE

#10 ·
That is good advice, but with Bridgestones, it is often difficult to get exactly the same tyre as originally fitted. This is perhaps why the dealership tyres cost more. To further explain, the Bridgestones are likely homologated for a number of different applications. Bridgestone often fine tune the tyre to each application (more than other tyre manufacturers do). I remember with one particular tyre size, Bridgestone produced 6 different versions of the RE030! You have to follow the marking codes exactly to ensure a match. Often, the exact version is difficult to obtain. For that reason, it is often better to fit a tyre which has no homologations because then there is only one version of it.

I only know that because I am anal about tyres and spend a long time picking the tyre suppliers brains some time ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.