Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Selespeed info

188K views 710 replies 202 participants last post by  Faby2xlc 
#1 ·
#322 ·
First selespeed issue tonight on my 156. I was decelerating down a long downhill slip road from about 60, as I was at about 30mph or so, i looked at the gear display and it was in N. Pushed the lever forward and it went into 3rd and pulled away as it should. A few minutes later, again slowing down without brakes up to a roundabout ( in CITY this time), it did the same again. I was almost at a standstill, display showed a steady N, car went into first as I pushed the lever, and off it went again.
i just checked the selespeed fluid, a tiny bit low, but above the Min mark. All gears will select with engine off ( key at MAR) and brake on and when it drives, gear selection is perfect.
Is this the start of something nasty or a simple fix?
I just downloaded Alfadiag and the cable should be here in a day or two so I can check out as much as I can then.
Looking through the Selespeed fault chart, looks like most problems like this, if not low fluid, are electrical connectors.
I did drive through a lot of rain yesterday, any suggestions?

Allan

#326 ·
just out of interest.... my car had a faulty sele actuator that was replaced at 20,000 miles. Do these actuators tend to have a shelf life? Or should it (Barring any problems) last for the rest of the life of my car?

I've had my car for 9 months and not had even the slightest bit of issue with the selespeed... I love it :)

#327 ·
Hey there again guys.

I have finally found the root cause of my selespeed issues.

The clutch actuator cylinder is leaking.

If anyone can please give me the part number for the bit’s that it’s made up of and of that whole cylinder. A mate of mine is in the hydraulics repair field, so we want to try and source the needed bits through the industrial supply route rather then the motor parts guys. My mate thinks that we can overhaul the cylinder and then not have to pay for a whole new unit.

If anyone can give me these part codes (or where I can find them) or any advice on the process it will be much appricated.

Thanks.

#329 ·
we are all looking for a source of parts as the ONLY part Alfa will sell are entire actuators or accumulators. [ 71751195 ]

#328 ·
i have an alfa GT selespeed year 2006 the car generated a low pressure fault and the dealer changed the actuator but the problem carries on the problem th car has is when i start the car when its parked for a long time its ok but when i use it and stop it, it wont start up again and it generates a selespeed error i thought that it could be an electrical problem as it only happens after the car has been used has anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be would really appriciate it thanks.

#330 ·
are you saying that when the engine is cold the car's engine starts ok?

when the engine is warm it will not start?

can you select gears with the key at MAR, engine off?

I think you could have a defective 'crank' sensor which is preventing the car's HT system [ for the spark plugs ] is not operating when hot.

#331 ·
i have now been told by the dealer that it could be an electrical hydralic pump that the car has under the left wing i dont know if this is the problem the car will start up easly when its could and runs smothly the problem only arrieses once i have used the car and turn the car off ad try to start it i know that if the ecu detectes low presure it wont start up but some times it will start up and then as soon as i put the car in gear it gives me a selespeed fault i thought that the actuator produced the presuer for the selespeed to work so why does it have a seconday pump is it noraml for the electric pump to fail.

#332 ·
...i know that if the ecu detects low pressure it wont start up
No, as long as it is in Neutral is will allow the engine to turn over and start.
If it can't get to Neutral it won't allow the engine to turn over at all.

When your fault happens, can you manually select Neutral? Does the engine turn over on the starter at all?

The Selespeed actuator does not produce any pressure.
The Selespeed pump produces the pressure. That is the pump in the left wing, under the Selespeed fluid tank.

#333 ·
is it a worry that my car sometimes (only occasionally) takes a couple of seconds for my sele to select R when I've pressed it?

And sometimes when the engine is cold and I upshift, I get a phantom increase of about 1000rpm for a split second before dying back down to normal, again, should i be on the lookout for anything?

#334 ·
Hi, a friend of mine has a problem with his selespeed gearbox. After he switchs from 4th to 5th the gearbox goes back to neutral. When he selects 5th again it's okay for awhile then chucks it back into neutral again. The gearbox light is flashing as is the 5th gear light. The lightshow is accompanied by beeping. The other gears work normally.

He said he had the robot calibrated but it didn't solve the porblem.
The tester reports this error:

sensor of choice against the CA or CC + Vakumul

Note that I don't know if this is an accurate translation.
He also reports that the voltage drops to 9V when he starts the car.

Your insight will be appreciated.

#335 ·
please O please some1 help me!!! My 147 selespeed is stuck in 2nd and 4th gear. 6moths and many visits to my local alfa garage (not even talking about the cost) has come to no solution to a frustrating problem. Any 1 with any help in this regard, i wil give u my liver or lung please just help!!!:cry:

#336 ·
it cannot be stuck in 2 gears at one time.

do you have Alfadiag & a KKL interface.

if not i'd advis ebuying this setup

#338 · (Edited)
Hello All, :D

Has anyone here taken the selespeed actuator off. I'm going to need to do this to repair the clutch cylinder. If anyone has any hints or tips on the process please let me know.

I’m not sure what it looks like on the underside of the actuator and what is involved in getting the internal gear linkages loose/reconnected and aligned. :confused:

Thanks to any that will help.

Ryan.

#339 ·
battery & tray out.

remove wheel & small cover in the wheel arch to allow access to the gear box

open the 19mm bolt of the front gear box support & lower g/box by 2"

open the 8mm blank top/rear of actuator

open the 6mm hex bolt inside the acuator

disconnect the 20 pin connector, the locking mechanism slides to one side.... BE CAREFUL

open the 3 bolts that holds the actuator in place on the gearbox.

There IS a tool for removing/fitting this actuator. I made one afew weeks ago.

#340 ·
PM Stoyce for a better instruction document.

#341 ·
Well got the call of my alfa garage today and got the horrible news that my car cant be fixed the selespeed problem cannnot be found on any diag's and can't be fixed so its a sad end. They have tried many many times to find the route cause and no problems can be found mechanicly anywhere on the car. It just will not select any other gears than 2. Sad way to end. sele is a heartbreaker...:( :( :(

#344 ·
So you've given up? :eek:

Have any of our resident experts here seen your car? Or are you going on the word of a dealer? I'm sorry, but no problem can't be fixed. Even a totally F'd engine block can be replaced. There is only to expensive to be worth it. If someone says it can't be fix it means that they can't find the problem.

Sorry if I come across harsh here but you clearly love your 147, like I do mine. I just can't stand to see a perfectly good car get wasted.

#342 ·
After six months and many visits to the local alfa garage my slespeed problem would not be solved. They checked everything top too bottom. a Man from Alfa HQ contacted me and said i must replace the battery and clean all the sensors on the system,so i did. surprise it worked al my problems are gone"touch wood" i just want to know why i paid +-R12 000. apparentley that should be the first thing you do when the selespeed gives problems. Why as owners of Alfa's do we need to know more about our cars than our local alfa garage???

#343 ·
I do Agree, but I've found that this is true for all dealers that I've delt with and I've owned WV's, Opel's, Ford's and now Alfa. You're sitting duck for them if you don't know more or as much as they do.

I'm glad that you came right. :thumbs: I've been building a order of things to check on a faulty selespeed. Our stroubles here in JHB seem to be a bit differant to those in Europe. The dirty contats seems to be very high on the list of things to check. First is Oil, then contacts / relays / fuses.

#345 ·
The problem with most garages is that they rely too much on computer diagnostics. Telling you your car if fine when you know there is a problem, ( its fine because the computer says so,) is what seems to be happening more and more as skilled mechanics retire.

We had a long standing problem with a Fiat Punto GT when they first came out. They changed everything, lastt of all the ECU, problem was still there, and two dealers had a go at fixing it.

Just by luck one day, a proper mechanic was there when we took the car in again, and he found the problem. A loose electrical connector!

The diag computer couldnt pick that up, so there obviously wasnt a fault!

Hope you get your sele fixed soon. Look for a proper garage!

Allan

#347 ·
i reckon the main source of oil leaks in these actuators is the bottom seal of the HIGH/MID/LOW range selector piston.

The bottom of this piston runs un-lubricated & rusts up at 3 different heights coz as the odd/even selector operates it rocks this piston against the sides of the housing.

Its an 11mm ID & 15mm OD 'composite seal.

I have sourced a replacement seal, just need a car to test this setup on.

Attachments

#348 ·
I have a 2001 alfa 156 2.0L TS Selespeed. I have had several problems with it, I even had the 3 position sensors changed, new pump and new ECU. Now I am having new problems, it would drop into N and won´t enage gears for some time. I have seen the pump only works for half a second or so, however it works every minute. I have serious doubts that I my have a faulty accumulator, what do you think?

#349 ·
check the filter at the inlet to the actuator.

remove the inlet pipe, 13mm.

then open the 22mm nut

behind that is a spring loaded filter, so be careful not to lose any bits

#350 ·
thanks for your advise, I will talk with my mechanic to see if he has already checked it... The problem is, that although I tell this information to him, I am not sure he has done what I have said. I guess if you want things to be done correctly, I should do it myself.

#351 ·
I just got off the phone with my mechanic, he says the diagnostics software says there is a fault with the clutch valve. Has somebody had any similar problems, or can somebody tell me what to do. I dont know if these valves can be replaced or if someone has the part number.

#352 ·
the clutch is operated by a combination of hydraulics [ 45 to 55 bar of presure ] & an electro valve which allows the passage of oil to the pistion that then operates the clutch system

so if your clutch ain;t working it could be:

1. electro valve failure

2. lack of pressure [ if you can actuate via diagnostics things like Hi/mid/low ranger ] that should mena you have pressure

3. oil pressure been lost/leaked around the piston that operates the clutch

4. mechanical fault of the clutch itself

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.