Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Heater Blower U/S

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  bigmacnchips 
#1 ·
Can anyone help me diagnose the fault?
The heater blower on my Spider phase 2 is not working on any speed at all. I have removed the electrical connector and there is 12v to it all the time, even when the ignition is off (seems odd to me:confused: , but I'm no electrical expert). I have taken the fan out put it on the bench and put a 12v feed and earth across the two terminals and it does not spin. Is it u/s or am I missing something?

#2 ·
It's not the fan, got my testing technique sorted, and it works OK. Reading the repair manual it says that it is controlled via the earth side which is controlled by the 'speed selector knob' and the resistor. I have read that resistors are prone to failure but a symptom of that is that the fan will still work on speed 4? which it doesn't. Any suggestions welcome.:)

G
#3 ·
so could it just be the switch that is broken?!if everything else works when you took it apart surelly it is that! i have had at least 3 peugeots that have done this,dont know if it a fault with alfas though....

#5 ·
I'm having the exact same problem with mine. Where are the resistors located? Is it in the passenger footwell? Never had a problem with this before - have had the fuses out but no probs there and bashed around at a few unknown devices in both footwells behind the trim but no joy...

#6 ·
If you lie on your back in the passenger footwell and look up, with the aid of a torch, you should easily see the the blower fan, if you look further forward toward the engine compartment you will see the small 'resistor pack', gave mine a tap and the blower fan worked. If you need to take the fan off to test there is just one bolt to undo then twist and it will pull down. Hope that helps:thumbs:

#8 ·
hi this is merefalow,,had exactly the same problem,drove me crazy 4 a while,,its almost certainly the heater switch,situated behind the 4 position knob,cost me 60 quid 3 years ago and just went again recently,on a gtv you release thecigarette panel on the floor,take out the two screws that secure it to the floorfound under ash tray box and the head lamp aheight adjuster,remove radio,two peices of thin metal in holes on front,undo screws found there,take out top heater vents and you remove two screws found there,you will then see the switch,two electrical connections and two screws secure it,,its a very cheap piece of rubbish,just get a new one,its doesnt fix very well,good luck,,merefalow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.