Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Hhhmmmmm!!!

Tags
hhhmmmmm
1K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  crikey_spud 
#1 ·
Hi all. Just bought a 145 (r reg 1.8) as a second car to my 159.
Bought it cheap(£160.00) so i'm not expecting it to be great straight off the bat but there are a couple of things i would like to sort soonish.
1 - Central Locking inop - I have changed the battery in the remote and the red light illuminates when you press it but nowt happens. Any ideas?
2 - The alarm doesn't work either. This maybe because the central locking is not working either but I have looked in the handbook and apparently you can turn the alarm off via a key in the boot area. I have found the key hole but it looks like it takes a kind of round hollow key and i aint got it. Can I do something with this? Only wondering just in case the alarm is off at this point. Seems an obvious place to start diagnonis.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Stevo.

#2 ·
Assuming the central locking works if you manually lock/unlock the car with the key then the remote central locking and alarm arm/disarm probelm will be related.

First things first, the red LED on the key should flash on and off if you hold the button in. If it just stays on continuously then the batteries need replacing.

If the LED is flashing then while holding it in, look up at the the remote receiver unit inside the car. This is the unit mounted in the roof just in front of the rear view mirror and has the 2 volumetric sensors on it. When it successfully receives a remote signal from an authorised key there is a green LED on the receiver unit that will light up momentarily then go off again. Check to see if this is happening. If not then your receiver will have lost it's association with the key and trying to get the problem resolved is unfortunately where the world of pain begins.

Try what I suggested first and also try the spare key (assuming you have one). Out of interest, did you also get a master key with the car (this is a burgundy coloured key with no button on)?

#3 ·
Hi. Got the burgundy key and one red one.
When you press the button it flashes on and off. I just changed the battery for a new one so not that.
Just been out to the car and the kentral locking works manually with the key and when you press the button NO lights light up on the cosole.
Any other advice as it's driving me nuts.
Cheers, Stevo

#4 ·
OK, that means either your receiver is dead or the receiver has forgotten the code for your key (i.e. it thinks your key isn't authorised to remotely operate the central locking and the alarm).

If you look at the reciever in the roof, on the bottom you should see a pen-point reset type button and an LED next to it. Hold in the button with the tip of a pen of more than 2 seconds. If the receiver unit is operational, the green LED should flash and continue to do so while you are holding in the button.

Also, check to see if you have any 4-digit codes with your keys. When the car is brand new from the factory, the 2 red remote keys (not the burundy one) are each supplied with a 4-digit code tag. These codes are needed in order to program (or reprogram) the key against a the receiver unit.

Do as I suggested first though and see if your receiver is actually working.

#6 ·
Just checked for codes and there is nowt. No card, no code......oh dear.
To be honest I would be surprised if you did have them. Virtually no-one has (me included) which is usually because the very first owner of the car put them away somewhere safe and then either lost them or just forgot to pass them on when selling the car.

#7 ·
easy way to sort the remote problem is to fit an aftermarket receiver and fob setup, as for the alarm. the alarm from this era is bad! most like to go off when they feel like it, so hence why most end up turned off.

as for the keyswitch its a simple switch, can easily be replaced with another keyswitch.

but without the remote, it wont arm anyway

#11 ·
Your current situation confirms that the receiver is working fine and that it has simply "forgotten" the codes of your keys. There is a solution to this even without the code tags but it involves sending your key (and/or receiver unit) away to someone who has the expertise to retrieve the relevant codes which are stored in the non-volatile memory inside those units.

However, you seem to be happy with the aftermarket solution I guess it's no longer an issue :)

#13 ·
you could try pressing the button by the mirror with a pen for 54secs and pressing the key button at the same time, Worked for me, but mine was the separate fob type, however no codes, infact the fob was from a 155, the reveiver off a 145 boxer and alarm from a 1.8 TS.

I was surprised too :D

HTH

#15 ·
Babychams all round then:cheese:
I might need 2 rear calipers by the looks of it. How much?????

Explosive Alfa - My remote keyless entry thing came today. Is the one you sent the link for the same as the one you have? The instructions are mad. What type of central locking do i have?

#17 ·
Nice 1.
The instructions are asking me to choose which type of central locking i have from a choice of 4 as follows:
1. for cars with central lock and lock motor on drivers side door
2. for cars with central lock but no motor on drivers side but master motor and rod
3. for cars with central lock and a control switch on drivers side
4.for cars fitted with air compressor type central locking

This is how it is typed on the instruction sheet. NOT my bad english.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.