Alfa Romeo Forum banner

V or W rated tyres?!

Tags
rated tyres
10K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  bobda 
#1 ·
My 147 is fitted with V speed rated tyres. According to the handbook, I can use either V or W. Is there any difference other than the fact one is rated at higher speeds than another? My car isn't capable of reaching either of the ratings' limits so should I just buy whichever rating is cheaper? (there seems to be slight differences).:confused:

#3 ·
Cheers for the post but I do understand the meaning of the rating, the question was if there is any advantage in buying V or W rated tyres when my car cannot physically reach either of their 'rated' speeds...?

#4 ·
It doesnt matter which one you buy plus its not a case of if the car can do the speeds its the rating of speed for a continued period of time. so if the rating is 136mph you have to be able to do that for say 30 mins before the tyre starts to lose performance. So go for what ever is cheaper. Typically though the higher the speed rating the better the tyre but if its just for road use etc its totally irrelevant

#7 ·
My car is supposed to use Y rated tyres. But they are not obtainable in the size that is fitted.

W rated tyres are rated up to 168mph so they should be ok though.. :rolleyes:

The construction and use regualations state that the tyres should be suitable for the use in which the vehicle is put. Not which the vehicle is capable of being put.

Higher speed rated tyres often have a slightly harder ride apparently, due to the additional belts and strengthening. Although I haven't noticed much difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.