Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Right Indicators Not working

9K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Francophile69 
#1 ·
97 GTV:: any ideas,,help please

None of my right indicators are working. When I turn on the hAzard lights the front and side indicator work but the back right doesnt work.

When I turn the indicator Right, there is no indicator light working inside on the dash.

I thought it might be a fuse but it sounds like its more. Anyone know what it could be and if its a fuse or something else which one is it and where is it located?

thanks

#2 ·
fuse no.1 is the feed for the hazard lights, fuse no.17 feeds all the indicators so if some are working it's not blown.
maybe it's a bad earth, check all connections near the bulbs that don't work including inside the bulb holder, maybe they are loose/corroded?
are you sure that the bulbs are not faulty?

#4 ·
earthman said:
fuse no.1 is the feed for the hazard lights, fuse no.17 feeds all the indicators so if some are working it's not blown.
maybe it's a bad earth, check all connections near the bulbs that don't work including inside the bulb holder, maybe they are loose/corroded?
are you sure that the bulbs are not faulty?
Its all three indicators onthe right hand side (front, back & side)
Does fuse no.17 feed both left and right indicators. Problem is when I turn on the hazard light the front & side one work. The indicator inside on the dash doesnt work when I turn right. Tested the working left bulb on the right hand side and it didnt work.

The indicator not displaying inside makes me think that its more than a bulb

G
#9 ·
Gnasher said:
Im not an expert but it might be the Steering Column Lever Unit. It cant be fuse 17 as the left indicators are working.

anyone know anything about these Steering Column Lever Units,,Hard to get? or are they standard parts?
I'd have said the same thing. 155s have some problems with them too, the contacts inside become dirty and cause all sorts of strange behaviour. Normally results in over-excited indicators going off all over the place but could cause your symptoms.

The should be fairly easy to pull out once the steering column shroud is off. Take them apart and clean....watch out for little springs inside.

wrinx

#12 ·
Sometimes (like once a month) my right indicators don't work either, it seems to be a problem with the relay or the connections, I just need to touch the top of it and it works.

I've kept the fusebox cover off for now, just so I can give it a tap whilst on the move, sods law it's been ok.
The relay is one big one, it controls hazards too, dare say it's going to be expensive.

#15 ·
I seem have to developed this issue now. The right indicators just stop working from time to time (been worse the last few days). Did anyone diagnose the problem and a fix for this? I've got the car with me today in the hope to have a look at lunch time (if the weather clears up a little).

#17 ·
Thanks Ianajrose, I had a look in with the fuse's and think it 'may' be a loose wire which I've fixed. Should I have problems again and it is the relay, do you know which relay is the indicators? I couldn't work out which one was ticking...

#18 ·
The relays are behind the removable cover just above your right knee as you sit behind the wheel. On my twinnie there are two large relays hanging down at the extreme right. The one for the indicators is the one nearest you. Just to check, turn on the indicators and hold the relay - you can feel it ticking. Hope this helps.

#20 ·
Have the same problem, have left the cover off and whenever it happens I tap/ wiggle the relay and all is good for a while. Been intermittent for about two years, I really should get it sorted.

#22 ·
I have a phase 1 gtv just check your relay has the same part no. 60570359
Bought a Siemens one part no. 1388533 works a treat £8.00 from eBay out of a 3 series BMW actually clicks more precisely ;-)

The only fiat/Alfa one i could find online was €90 in Germany

See the table for part no alternatives

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.