Some Doubts & Misunderstandings Aussies have with the new 147 GTA

2K views 49 replies 13 participants last post by  Stori 
#1 ·
After Checking out my dealership on Friday I can confirm the following things:

The 147 GTA Options are.

a. Xeon Lights which are $1500 extra

b. MOMO Leather Seats $3500 extra

c. Sunroof I think $2500 extra

Basic Model 147 GTA comes with Cloth Interior & Normal Halogen lights.

On The Road the 147 GTA is around the 72-75K Mark here in OZ

But best part is!! Nov/Dec 2003 First Shipment of 147 GTA Selespeed is available! 6 Gears!

Nick the dealer told me place your orders now for the Selespeed Version!!!

#2 ·
Reuven, I haven't checked the specs, but I thought a car in this class should come with leather interior? May be it isn't a Momo? :confused:

Are you trading up? :D :D :D

G
#3 ·
HI Rev888,

I am nthe new guy in the meeting last thursday night, thanks for confirming the spec of the car. However i have to correct one thing. the 147 GTA is availble already and the first shipment was here last wednesday with one sold on the same day!

#6 ·
Just went to Lance Dixon dealer which is 1 min drive from my home. I saw black, red and silver 147 GTA. The sales said the Xenon is standard but will be option for the next shipment. The price is $59,990 plus on road. $65,000 driveaway (with negotiation) :D .

p.s The GTA cloth seat is not bad too(very thick).

#7 ·
I find it SAD that the people who buy a 147GTA will still suffer from:

Thin paint which scratches easily, especially on a black GTA and also ugly orange peel paint job.

More likely than not (due to the bigger engine, thus stress) more creaks, rattles and squeeks than ever before.

I am sure a few of them will end up at the scrap yard. Too much power for a front wheel drive. If I had one I think I'd total it on a roundabout! :) It lacks the 156GTA's ability to flick out the rear and drift around corners if pushed too hard. Shame really.

For the price I'd buy me a 2nd hand Honda NSX :) WHOOT! Now shoot me down wink

Hey Stephen, was cool to meet ya the other night.

#8 ·
Justin, It would be worth your while to try Zymol Ital wax on your Black car.
It will enhance the colour and will add abrasion resistace to your paint.
Wether it will be enoughabrasion resistance for you ,I cannot say.
Unfortunately the Orange peel affect has be around for over 20 years. :(
Athough in the past it was more prevalent out of the Naples plant.

#10 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Reuven:
<strong>..Sunroof I think $2500 extra..</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The sunroof is not on the option list for the 147 GTA in The Netherlands. The reason is to keep the bodywork as stiff as possible.

#11 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Stephen CTC Chan:
<strong>..However i have to correct one thing. the 147 GTA is availble already and the first shipment was here last wednesday with one sold on the same day!</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Reuven was talking about the 147 GTA with Selespeed transmission

#12 ·
But the GTV is such an old design!

How can one justify buying a "brand new" GTV?

Going off topic here: But I just really hate it how Alfa seems to be whacking the 147 interior into other cars in their line-up.

Wouldn't it be better if each car had it's own character? It's own interior rather than making all the cars feel and look the same from the inside?

Making all their cars use the same kinda grill design is a big mistake in my opinion. That way if you don't like the grill on one alfa, chances are you hate the grill on the others in the range too, thus you hate all alfas! BIG mistake!

#13 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by selespeed:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Stephen CTC Chan:
<strong>..However i have to correct one thing. the 147 GTA is availble already and the first shipment was here last wednesday with one sold on the same day!</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Reuven was talking about the 147 GTA with Selespeed transmission</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thats right Hans! What would you like to know ?

G
#14 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by black_gtv_v6:
<strong>Buy a GTV v6! A proper sports car. (Yes sports car, not hatch, despite FWD)</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hmmmm doubtful about a FWD coupe being a REAL sports car. I agree that the 147 wont b as planted or secure as a 156 GTA. The 147 is very front heavy, and thus would lack the same turn in qualities of the longer wheelbase 156. Where the 156 would oversteer, the 147 will simply **** a rear leg up and understeer. 70K is pushing it IMO for a small hatch, specially when this time next yr the dealers will b struggling to sell them for high 50s. The 156GTA was released at just over 100K on road. New cars r still sitting in the showrooms now discounted to mid-low 80s.

With all that weight hanging over the front axle, itd b doubtful that the 147 will shake off the king of front drive hot hatches, the Renault Clio Sport. There have been many UK reviews on the 147GTA in Car, Evo, etc. They make for some good reading until u try the car urself.

#15 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Justin Fox:
<strong>Too much power for a front wheel drive. If I had one I think I'd total it on a roundabout! :) </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">On a track the GTA has too much power for a front wheel drive, but I IMHO it is not too much for public roads.

Tests in car magazines usually mention she has too much power for a FWD and that the car suffers from understeer. But don't forget, the tests are usually made on a track.

I have driven a couple of GTA's. Although I like driving pretty fast and enjoy the capabilities of a car, on a public the 250 horses nor the understeer are a problem because you don't drive the car on the limit like on a circuit. And if you do, you must wonder if you should be allowed to drive on the public roads.

I would buy the GTA without a doubt.

#16 ·
Personally I think that A$75,000 = 43,000 Euro or 30,000 pounds on the road is rather expensive for what is just a hot hatch (Alfa Romeo 147 GTA)
This is dearer/same price than a Nissan 350Z depending on which model

In the UK the prices for a GTA is about 24,000 pounds and the 350Z about 26,000 pounds

#17 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Stori:
<strong>Personally I think that A$75,000 = 43,000 Euro or 30,000 pounds on the road is rather expensive for what is just a hot hatch (Alfa Romeo 147 GTA)
This is dearer than a Nissan 350Z</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I know and agree, but it is in the same price range as the Focus RS and Golf R32. And I prefer the Alfa over the Ford and the VW.

#19 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Justin Fox:
<strong>I find it SAD that the people who buy a 147GTA will still suffer from:

Thin paint which scratches easily, especially on a black GTA and also ugly orange peel paint job.

More likely than not (due to the bigger engine, thus stress) more creaks, rattles and squeeks than ever before.

I am sure a few of them will end up at the scrap yard. Too much power for a front wheel drive. If I had one I think I'd total it on a roundabout! :) It lacks the 156GTA's ability to flick out the rear and drift around corners if pushed too hard. Shame really.

For the price I'd buy me a 2nd hand Honda NSX :) WHOOT! Now shoot me down wink

Hey Stephen, was cool to meet ya the other night.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've never had a problem with my Alfa paint. Scratches no worse than any other car I've owned. It's a DuPont product so should be as good as Mercedes, Audi for wear I would think.

I agree though...the price point for the 147GTA in NZ is around the NZD$70-$80K mark. I'm not sure the overall package really adds up to that price point. If I was gonna spend that I'd honestly have to have a bloody good look around first!

Jono

G
#21 ·
well, I own a Clio Sport and I have driven both the 156GTA and the 147GTA. To be honest, apart from sheer pace, the 147GTA doesn't necessarily feel like it handles any better than the reno. This is actually a complement as the reno handles very well - it's just that the GTA doesn't feel £xxxx more than the reno in the handling dept...BUT...the GTA will leave the reno for dead powerwise (when i got back into the reno, it felt slow - given the 172 is a rapid car, it's some achievement that it made the clio feel slow), plus of course the GTA sounds roars like thunder in a bad mood. So, the reno is very fast, but the GTA is very very fast, and exceptionally exciting to drive.

g

#22 ·
Yep, in 12 months we will be able to get them brand new for $55k fully loaded, xenon, roof, leather etc drive away.

You can ****ing bet on it.

You can also bet on the fact ill be buying one.

I do however think its ****ed that xenons are an option, very poor move. But at least they arent $2k + like BMW/MB etc.

I can fully understand them having cloth seats standard. Smart move IMO... Reason is, you seen the seats in a 12 month old BMW/MB? They look 10years old.. very very ugly.

But Alfa seats are much better, and this isnt really going to be a problem for Alfa's anyway because the leather is panelled.. (divided into small sections, via stitching or otherwise) they dont wrinkle like in BMW/MB and thus dont look like **** within 12 months.

Hell, BMW M3 comes standard with cloth.. leather is an option, but at no extra cost. The Alfa should be the same.

I think a fully stripped 147GTA should be closer to $55k + options + orc to be more realistic.

An Audi S3.. turbocharged just as powerfull better made car is $65k + orc.. and that includes everything, xenons, leather seats etc.

The 147 GTA is overpriced even stock at $59,990. At $55k.. its a more viable option, and one i'd take. And I dont think itll be too long before this happens.. just look at the 156 GTA. Altho I do attribute alot of it to the fact the 147 GTA is here and is much much cheaper than the 156 and considered just as good to the naked eye.

#23 ·
I don't know why Alfa should lower the price of the 147 GTA. I would love it if they did, but it just doesn't make sence.

For comparison: the 147 2.0 TS Selespeed is EUR 4,310 cheaper then a 156 JTS Selespeed. The 147 GTA is EUR 8,480 cheaper then a 156 GTA (higher difference in price tag because the 147 GTA is less equipped)

The 147 GTA is EUR 2,505 cheaper then the Focus RS, EUR 2,775 cheaper then the Golf RS and EUR 12,505 cheaper then the Clio Sport V6 *. And as far as I know the sales numbers of the 147 GTA are better then the 156 GTA.

I agree that these hot hatches are in general too expensive, but the market doesn't seem to care and the 147 GTA has a very good price tag compared to her competitors. So why should Alfa lower the price?

(price differences are based on Dutch price lists)

* not really in the same league as the 147 GTA, but according to the Dutch car magazine Autoweek the 147 GTA beats the Clio V6 from 0 - 180 km/h and has a slightly higher top speed

#24 ·
Yes, but its very different in Australia.

$70,000+ on a hatchback? Its very hard to justify. Alfa does not sell many cars at all in Australia, and this will be especially hard to justify.

The Audi S3 has a better name, and many other things going for it.. and soooooo few S3 are sold here. They are in the same league and thats why I use it as a comparrison.. as people go to buy a car with a set budget, and they will look at all cars within that budget, and if they see and Audi against an Alfa.. well you can guess which one they would choose for the money.

Better resale, performance, value, options.

Some people just dont have enough taste to buy an Alfa and look at the financial consequences associated with spending $70k+ on a hatch.

#25 ·
When you consider that for the same amount you can get a 5.7 litre V8 Holden HSV that will spin the wheels all the way through first and well into second then the 147 is tame by comparison.
Ultimate handling may be better for the 147 GTA but most parts of Australia you have to go looking for the corners that will bring out the best in a GTA.
And the HSV is more likely to get better fuel consuption as well eek!
now these cars may not be everyones cup of tea but they are definitely value for money

See Video link on this page (little camera icon just below front of car and above the Features Engine selection boxes.
http://www.hsv.com.au/vy/1024/csr8.html

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/5_10_hsv.htm

Images from

http://www.geocities.com/holdenvy/hsv_intro.html
http://www.geocities.com/holdenvy/hsv_r8.html

if they do not wish to show :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.