Alfa Romeo Forum banner

how to improve the 147

Tags
improve
2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  rancido64 
#1 ·
I have a 2.0 t spark and was wondering the best way to improve performance.I dont want major surjery just any tweeks that i can add or adjust

G
#2 ·
You have the wrong engine for doing such a thing I'm affraid. What you would need is a turbo diesel for that.
The TS is not good for remapping and supercharging/turbo charging is VERY expensive. You could try the usual though...exhaust or air filter but it's not really going to make it any faster at all!

#9 ·
i disagree.. you will be able to improve it, but as you say, the mods that'd give the most improvement (turbo/supercharge) are very expensive..

you've got some pretty good advice from the other members that have posted in the thread, do the intake manifold, get a s/s manifold & exhaust system, improved drop in air filter or induction kit, cold air feed to the air intake, shorter gearbox (from 156 1.8 as suggested above) and then a remap to make the most of it all I'd say you'll be happy with the results! :thumbs:

G
#3 ·
I had my old one re-mapped by Angel, a BMC Carbon Dynamic Air Filter and a new CSC exhaust. The improvement was about 20bhp and it certainly improved it. I miss it to be honest. All for about £450!! Bargain!!

#4 ·
I had a really nice 147 2.0 twinnie and i found the best way to improve performace was to sell it and get a GTA. Not quite as sarcastic as this reply may appear at first. as GTA s can be had from 5k and up now ( i paid 7k and sold my twinnie for 2850 ) The twinspark is widely accepted to be a very expensive engine to get any meaningful performance gains and you still have the same suspension and brakes.

#6 ·
For a free mod, flowing the intake, especially arong the rubber joints is a well advised way to go, it allows more air in and because the ECU automatically compensates for it, you get a free remaping of the engine too (in a way), just widening the ports by 1mm has given gains of 15Bhp in the past, it was coupled with a lightened crank from a younger engine when I did it, but the gains would still be there for the intake work alone, you can also replace the 4 14mm plugs with Bosch super 4 types, and they again add a few more horses, a free flow replacement filter again allows the ponies to run free, but without going the route of cams and exhaust there really isn't that much you can do apart from keep it reguarly serviced and keep her on the red line.

#7 ·
Fitting a gearbox for a 1.8 156 will liven it up one hell of a lot at the expense of cruising ability. The 147 is pretty tall geared as standard.

#10 ·
Some good advice there. Thanks The coment about keeping it in the red seems to sum up the 2.0 to a tee.After having lots of alfas in the past the 147 seems a bit lack lustre in the lower rev bands and only seems to come alive at the very top of its rev range.I recently went shopping for a 156 for my brother in law and found there seemed to be some were quicker than others
The problem with mine it feels quite restricted in the low revs Ive had it serviced regular,havin said that i might look at the airflow cos a regular service doesnt always relate to a thorough service and it could possibly just need an air filter.
Where do i buy the wider air ducts etc?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.