Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Broken Diff, Gearbox and Clutch!!! ...Q2?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  sportsalfa 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Im new on here so I will have to introduce myself first!
I live in australia and own a 1998 ph1 gtv v6. I bought it about 4 years ago when i first got my lisence and it has been the best loan
ive ever gotten haha! since then I have bought rims (chrome) but i wish i didnt get chrome now!!! zender cup kit, lowered, remus exhaust
bmc cda and spent mega bucks on the custom sound system!!! I love these cars im so glad i got it but,

now for the bad part!!!

Last week i blew my diff which wrecked my gearbox and my clutch is on its last legs! i dont know what to do!!! I figure if im going to
spend all this money fixing these problems i may aswell get something better out of it.

- I was thinking of getting a Q2 diff but my ph1 v6 is only a 5 speed and apparently the Q2 doesnt fit on the 5 speed gearbox.
- I thought i should replace the 5 speed with a 6 speed gearbox then i can replace the stock diff with a Q2...

Is this possible????
And
are there any other options for replacing the clutch!?

i urgently need help so i can fix my car!!! summer is just around the corner haha!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
same scenario but i have already done the clutch, mines a 98 v6 and is in at the mo with a suspected diff failure, the Q2 very much does fit the 5 spd and has the diff def. taken out the box, mines in being looked at and i may be lucky in that the diff didn't bugger the box. i don't know what second hand parts are like in aus but i would say with all that money already spent if the cars in good condition i would souce a box and get the Q2 fitted en route!!

#6 ·
Hey guys, wow thanks for the quick replies
Apparently the box is screwed aswell. The mechanic was sourcing a second hand 5 speed gearbox and diff because he says the Q2 wont fit. I suggested he source out a 6 speed gearbox and Q2... He said he would, but isnt sure if the 6 speed will fit properly. I think he wants to cover his tracks and not customize anything...

#8 ·
Does your mechanic know what he is doing?

#10 ·
Nah my mechanic is good, i guess he just doesnt want to "change" much incase theres any repocussions.

After the weekend i will ask him to find a second hand 5 speed and fit the q2! hopefuly it works but i heard the q2 only fits certain 5 speeds?... maybe my gearbox is one it wont fit haha...

but as for the 156 clutch and flywheel... how much more expensive would that cost rather than just replacing the clutch kit for the gtv?

#11 ·
but as for the 156 clutch and flywheel... how much more expensive would that cost rather than just replacing the clutch kit for the gtv?

well if your cars fitted with a dual mass flywheel and its worn too it would be much cheaper to buy the solid 2.5 flywheel and clutch to match, if the flywheel is ok:rolleyes: then its an added cost you might not need, will have to see what your mechanic says.

there is also a chance that the flywheel is a solid one as you have a Ph1 car same as me and mine is!!

#12 ·
Ok ive ordered the Q2 Diff and I guess i am lucky too because the gearbox is ok so he will clean it out and fix it up.
I got a price for a second hand gearbox for AU$4,000!!!!!!! wtf!
As for the clutch i am just going to get a clutch kit as the flywheel is in good order. Although it sounds good because I do have a dual mass flywheel.. so I guess im not as lucky as you neilied.
Its hard to get parts down here in aus at reasonable prices so to replace the flywheel and clutch to a 156 wouldnt be worth the exercise at this time.
I wish there was something I could get like a heavy duty clutch kit to replace it with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.